Fishneedit.com Vs. Odyssea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just about to buy the Fishneedit.com 30" quad t5ho light fixture untill i came accross a Odyssea t5ho fixture. They both use 24" bulbs rated 24watts each BUT the odyssea comes with 2 moodlight LED's which are pretty cool IMO.

any1 delt with odyssea products?? good?? bad?? thoughts....:)

I have both fixtures and would choose the fishneedit over odyssea any day. Even without the moonlights lol

why do you say that carey?? better quality build?? better reflectors??

one thing i did notice is that the odyssea sits pretty much right on the water as opposed to the fishneedit sits 2-4inches higher (which would light up the tank better?? )

The quality is better, the materials much better, better reflectors too. It also has a nicer look to it and it is adjustable on your tank. the odyssea isn't and it's kinda hollow feeling while the needit one is somewhat sturdy.

You can get two 3' fixtures though... which is essentially what a 6' fixture is.

I don't have much experience with fixtures other than FNI and Current. The price difference is substantial, and I actually favor FNI. The remote ballasts, sleek aluminum look, and hanging option (for 4x unit) makes them a better buy IMO.

hey carey,

their site list that the 30inch fixture users 4x24watt bulbs (which is the same as the 24inch fixture) ....so essentialy im losing out on 6 inchers of lighting in my tank.

If i get the 36inch fixture, i could adjust the legs to fit my 30inch tank??

You can slide them in on the FNI fixture, not sure about the others. You can put a 4' light on a 10g tank and still use the legs on the FNI fixtures... if you wanted.

Do you guys buy the bulbs from FNI as well? They are cheap! But it doesn't say what kind they are??

Nah, they're cheap bulbs. First thing I did when I got mine was replacing the bulbs... but unless you buy a geisemann, ati, or tek fixture (maybe a few others?), you're not going to get great bulbs.

I have a 55g, and I am now considering fishneedsit. What color temp would I need for my fresh water tank? I am going to try to grow some java moss and onion plant.
I have some kribensis, tiger barbs, danios, platys, pleco, and silver tipped shark.

Unfortunately, all t5HO 30" fixtures have the 24" bulbs (actually they are like 23 3/4"). However, that only leaves 3 inches unlit on each side, and the par loss is minimal, especially at depth. The light spreads sideways at the ends just as it does front to back on the tank.

I don't know if i'm hijacking this thread but is it worth it to buy a 30" fixture that has 24" bulbs or should i find one that has 30" bulbs?

30" bulbs are NOT easy to find. They are not a standard size, which means that good bulbs aren't there. You cannot get Geisemann or ATI bulbs in 30".

Back
Top Bottom