Fishneedit Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently I have the standard 55g with the brace in the middle. I have the hood with lights that came with the tank. The two 24" hood with lights. 1 15w bulb in each hood.

I am considering switching to fishneedit lights since I heard some great things about it.

Since my budget is low, roughly 100 is in my budget. I heard that fishneedit was better than current nova extreme (2x54w) but the light fixture from fishneedit is 5 inches in width. If I take out the light strips from my hood, it only allows 4.25 inches in width.

So I am thinking would I need to switch to a versa-top. I found them for very cheap on drs. foster & smith or should I keep the regular ones that I have already?

Also, since I am getting the lights for plants, I should get 1 white and 1 pink bulb right?

Or I could keep the current hood and go with the current nova extreme since they are 4.25w. I am not sure how the reflectors work, so I would love as much information prior to purchasing a $100 light fixture :(

Cornstar said:
Or I could keep the current hood and go with the current nova extreme since they are 4.25w. I am not sure how the reflectors work, so I would love as much information prior to purchasing a $100 light fixture :(

Aquatraders.com has a 4 bulb fixture for $100

I'm just not sure if I need 4 bulbs for a 55g. Wouldn't that be too much and cause algae?

Edit

If I were to get a 3-4bulb how would I put it on? Would I definitely need to switch to versa-tops?

mfdrookie516 said:
You don't use a hood with T5HO fixtures like that. In fact, no top at all is preferable IMO

Wouldn't the water just evaporate? And wouldn't fishes jump out? I am going for a cichlid tank.

I was reading over some posts and notices you had a fishneedit light. Would you prefer it over an odyessa?

There was a 3 light bulb with timer and LED on aquatrade.com for less than the 2 bulb fishneedit.

I just really want something that won't give me aglae and shows color of the cichlids.

Cornstar said:
Wouldn't the water just evaporate? And wouldn't fishes jump out? I am going for a cichlid tank.

I was reading over some posts and notices you had a fishneedit light. Would you prefer it over an odyessa?

There was a 3 light bulb with timer and LED on aquatrade.com for less than the 2 bulb fishneedit.

I just really want something that won't give me aglae and shows color of the cichlids.
Oh I wasn't sure whether this was SW or FW

Cornstar said:
It is for fw :) malawi cichlid tank :)

Id go for the 3 bulb in that case. Fishneedit fixtures have better reflectors but no timer or LEDs and the Oddysea fixture's 3rd bulb can make up for what it's reflectors lack.

Ibrahim said:
Id go for the 3 bulb in that case. Fishneedit fixtures have better reflectors but no timer or LEDs and the Oddysea fixture's 3rd bulb can make up for what it's reflectors lack.

Is that how it works? Also I was told a pink bulb is good but odyessa doesn't provide pink bulbs. Only 1 blue and two fluorescent. Would that be good for some hard plants?

Wait, why 3 T5 HO bulbs?
In a cichlid tank, with no plants or corals to sustain, this is completely unnecessary IMO and it will be an uphill battle with algae as far as I'm concerned.

2 T5 HO is more than enough for a non-planted cichlid tank.

I use the Fishneedit 2x54 on a 5' 120 gallon and it easily grows low light plants. That's what I wanted- to keep it low maintenance. Hope this helps.

Oh, and BTW... those fixtures with the built in timers... if those timers break, you are pretty well screwed. You'd be better off IMO to buy a cheap light timer from Walmart and plug your fixture into that. At least it is easily replaceable should failure occur.

I was thinking of growing some plants in the cichlid tank, those that won't get torn apart like anachris or something.

If I were to get the two bulb one, would I need a hood to prevent evaporation/fish jumping out?

severum mama said:
Wait, why 3 T5 HO bulbs?
In a cichlid tank, with no plants or corals to sustain, this is completely unnecessary IMO and it will be an uphill battle with algae as far as I'm concerned.

2 T5 HO is more than enough for a non-planted cichlid tank.

I use the Fishneedit 2x54 on a 5' 120 gallon and it easily grows low light plants. That's what I wanted- to keep it low maintenance. Hope this helps.

Oh, and BTW... those fixtures with the built in timers... if those timers break, you are pretty well screwed. You'd be better off IMO to buy a cheap light timer from Walmart and plug your fixture into that. At least it is easily replaceable should failure occur.

It's non planted too? Wow nvm. I'd just get a 48" led strip for a cool shimmer effect

Cornstar said:
I was thinking of growing some plants in the cichlid tank, those that won't get torn apart like anachris or something.

If I were to get the two bulb one, would I need a hood to prevent evaporation/fish jumping out?

Maybe glass tops or a mesh screen

Back
Top Bottom