Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Id go for the 3 bulb in that case. Fishneedit fixtures have better reflectors but no timer or LEDs and the Oddysea fixture's 3rd bulb can make up for what it's reflectors lack.
Wait, why 3 T5 HO bulbs?
In a cichlid tank, with no plants or corals to sustain, this is completely unnecessary IMO and it will be an uphill battle with algae as far as I'm concerned.

2 T5 HO is more than enough for a non-planted cichlid tank.

I use the Fishneedit 2x54 on a 5' 120 gallon and it easily grows low light plants. That's what I wanted- to keep it low maintenance. Hope this helps.

Oh, and BTW... those fixtures with the built in timers... if those timers break, you are pretty well screwed. You'd be better off IMO to buy a cheap light timer from Walmart and plug your fixture into that. At least it is easily replaceable should failure occur.
__________________

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Cornstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York City, USA
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
I was thinking of growing some plants in the cichlid tank, those that won't get torn apart like anachris or something.

If I were to get the two bulb one, would I need a hood to prevent evaporation/fish jumping out?
__________________

__________________
"Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep going"
Cornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

Wait, why 3 T5 HO bulbs?
In a cichlid tank, with no plants or corals to sustain, this is completely unnecessary IMO and it will be an uphill battle with algae as far as I'm concerned.

2 T5 HO is more than enough for a non-planted cichlid tank.

I use the Fishneedit 2x54 on a 5' 120 gallon and it easily grows low light plants. That's what I wanted- to keep it low maintenance. Hope this helps.

Oh, and BTW... those fixtures with the built in timers... if those timers break, you are pretty well screwed. You'd be better off IMO to buy a cheap light timer from Walmart and plug your fixture into that. At least it is easily replaceable should failure occur.
It's non planted too? Wow nvm. I'd just get a 48" led strip for a cool shimmer effect
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar
I was thinking of growing some plants in the cichlid tank, those that won't get torn apart like anachris or something.

If I were to get the two bulb one, would I need a hood to prevent evaporation/fish jumping out?
Maybe glass tops or a mesh screen
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Cornstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York City, USA
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

It's non planted too? Wow nvm. I'd just get a 48" led strip for a cool shimmer effect
I was planning to grow some java moss and some plants in there.
__________________
"Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep going"
Cornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
I was planning to grow some java moss and some plants in there.
This should be plenty in that case
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
and here are the pink bulbs (It's one of the four options)
Aquarium Lightings - Odyssea T5 Fluorescent Bulb
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Cornstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York City, USA
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Thanks everyone! I think I am going to go with the versa tips and the fishneedit. Thanks again everyone!
__________________

__________________
"Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep going"
Cornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY moonlight using LED Xmas Lights nuwave59 DIY Projects 19 10-11-2011 09:14 PM
Biocube 14 lights Blacksteel Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 09-30-2011 06:04 AM
should I do a 4 foot light or 2 two foot lights? amesdrew Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 08-25-2011 12:04 PM
LED Lights TerenceH DIY Projects 11 08-15-2011 06:27 PM
For Sale: 36'' AquaticLife 4 bulb T5HO + Lunar Lights sampster5000 Archive 0 07-29-2011 11:33 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.