Fitting a T10 bulb into a T8 fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sideways

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am using a T8 lighting set up that uses 48" lights. Currently I'm running some regular Philips ALTO bulbs and wanted to add some brighter lights, preferably the bluish kind. But it seems that I'm having difficulty finding any T8 lights that long, although I see T10 all day long in that length. Would it be possible to use the T10 lights into my T8 fixture?

Or maybe somebody knows of some T8 lights in that length?

TIA for any help.

Does your T8 fixture have individual reflectors? If not, you might be able to do it if they will fit. I'm not a lighting person, but you may need to upgrade the ballasts (correct me if I am wrong) and end caps.

Many years ago, I tried to use a T10 bulb in a AllGlass light fixture (single tube) that was really designed to use T8 bulbs.

I had no problems with the light working, ballast worked fine with it too.

However, the plastic "reflector" part of the light touched and covered the top ~50% of the bulb. I did not have any way to measure the light output, but I would suspect I lost quite a bit since it could reflect off/back in to the tank.

When it came time to replace that bulb, it was somewhat difficult to remove it from the fixture because the plastic reflector warped.

My lesson learned (and my opinion) - using a T10 bulb in a fixture designed for a T8 should only be a temporary, short term solution. :wink:

Thanks for all of the help!

The lights on hellolights.com will probably work. I think that would be the best way to go.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom