Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Fixing a cracked aquarium

Ok so there is a 300 gallon tank on craigslist for 200 bucks it has a crack in the conter of the bottom about 9 inches long could i repair this by siliconing the crack and siliconing a sheet of glass on top of it? im waiting on the person to send me a pic of the crack will post when she does

greaver83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

I wouldn't risk it, that's a ton of weight and that is enough water to ruin your week. The best thing would be to replace the entire glass panel. On a tank that large it will require a pretty expensive and heavy piece of glass but it can be done.

Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

POTM Champion
+1 on that one why risk it , break the tank down and go from there not worth the risk and stress of when is it going to let go.
rusty386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
yuh i decided against it after going and seeing it in person the crack is actually all the way across the bottom center i got him down to 100 bucks but really didnt want to order a new bottom and break it all down
greaver83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
You can add a second bottom to the tank, either inside or on the outside depending how the tank is built. Alternatively you can add a patch to the inside of the tank if the bottom is supported.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com