Fixing a cracked aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greaver83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so there is a 300 gallon tank on craigslist for 200 bucks it has a crack in the conter of the bottom about 9 inches long could i repair this by siliconing the crack and siliconing a sheet of glass on top of it? im waiting on the person to send me a pic of the crack will post when she does

I wouldn't risk it, that's a ton of weight and that is enough water to ruin your week. The best thing would be to replace the entire glass panel. On a tank that large it will require a pretty expensive and heavy piece of glass but it can be done.

+1 on that one why risk it , break the tank down and go from there not worth the risk and stress of when is it going to let go.

yuh i decided against it after going and seeing it in person the crack is actually all the way across the bottom center i got him down to 100 bucks but really didnt want to order a new bottom and break it all down

You can add a second bottom to the tank, either inside or on the outside depending how the tank is built. Alternatively you can add a patch to the inside of the tank if the bottom is supported.

Back
Top Bottom