fixing fuse in ballast possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeinvb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have an odyssea light ballast, 30 inches 2 65 watt bulbs, one of the straight pin plug ins doest work, i can use either bulb in one of them but the other does not work, i know these ballasts suck and its not new i got it for free, any suggestions on how to check the fuse or even what the fuse looks like? any help is welcomed thanks

No replacable fuse in ballasts that I know of .....

You sure it is not the harness/lamp holder? It is more than likely that a wire is loose or the endcap (lamp holder) is corroded. Assuming you have some electrical skills, the simplest way to check is to swap the 2 endcaps around. The endcaps are wired to the ballast inside the lamp using wirenuts. Swap the good one for the bad & see if it lights. If it works, then it is the endcap or the wires. Buy a new set to replace. Otherwise, your ballast is toast.

<Mark all wires so you know how to wire the thing & make sure all unused wires are capped during testing. <And unplug the light when working inside it.> .... If you never work with eletricity before, get someone experienced to help you. Do not try this if in doubt ... It is not worth killing yourself or starting a fire!!!>

BTW - is this the same light that is not working in your other post?

yes it is that same light, i realize now that i opened it up there is no fuse just the 2 ballasts, went to home depot but only have them for t8 t 12 and other stuff and is not the lights i have 65 watt 10,000k and 65 watt actinic both 21"

If you have 2 ballasts, then swap the good set of endcaps for the bad one & see it it will light. 99% of the times it is the endcap/wires & not the ballasts.

If you have to replace the ballast, you want a 1x65W electronic ballast. This is a common ballast (should be able to find in any light parts store - or pull one out of an electronic shoplight ... often cheaper on sale). A standard T8 shoplight will use one of those. <The T8 is 2x32, it is commonly wired with a 65W electronic ballast (about $15). Just make sure you get a true electronic ballast ... these will light anything that is within the rated W .... vs the older magnetic ones that will light only specific bulb combination.>

Look for something like this (the bottom one 110V, 70W):
Fulham Ballast Workhorse 4

Back
Top Bottom