Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Posts: 4
Float switch recommendation

I have just installed a single Durso Standpipe into my aquarium which has dramatically reduced the noise of any water returning to the sump. I am concerned that the Single Durso Standpipe could become blocked resulting in the display tank flooding.

I am therefore looking to buy a float switch that would shut off the return pump once water reaches a certain level in the display tank. I have looked on the internet and find the products on offer quite confusing (and mostly suited for auto top ups).

Can anyone recommend a float switch which consists of one float switch for the display tank and a devise which I plug my return pump into which will cut power if the water in the display tank reaches a certain level?

Thanks in advance for any help

Rob FishUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!
spoonman's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
Do you need to do that? My sump is set up so that if water is not coming into the sump the return area will pump out about 2 gallons of water and then go dry. Shouldn't overflow the main tank if no water is getting to the sump to pump back into the tank. You can look at how my sump is set up in my 75 gallon reef build thread in my signature. It is the way most sumps are set up to avoid what you are talking about.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Posts: 4
My Sump is set up in a way that the majority of it would be pumped into the display tank should the standpipe get blocked. I am thinking if raising the return pump so it would run dry if water levels in the sump dropped too much. There must be a simple float switch that can help me out?
Rob FishUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Holygral's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
Do you use ATO to do your top offs? If not then accomplish both functions witha single piece of equipment. A 2 float system the has a low and a high switch. My top off is pumped from the basement into the sump, but if my DT is too high, the high switch will not let the pump come on.
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Photo Contest Winners

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.