Floating Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm doing a filter change and am floating the new cartridge. Is it ok if i just put it in the tank? Right now It's under the filter intake, but will bacteria grow on it there?

Are you changing to a different filter unit? If so, I would install it on the tank along with your old one and run both for several weeks. If you are just changing the filter insert, rinse the old one lightly in declored water and float it, install the new filter.

Whether the filter media is in the tank or in the filter, it will gather bacteria. Just make sure not to remove the old one for a couple weeks until the new one is established.

The main reason I'm changing it is to cycle my 30 gal quickly. If I let it float for say, 2 days, will there be enough bacteria on it to either use it in the 20 gal, or to lower the cycle time in the 30?

Just take the old filter insert and put it in your filter on the new tank...instant cycle. The old filter will have enough bacteria on the sides to keep your tank running. It will be just like doing a regular filter change

In an established tank you have bacteria present on the glass, decorations, filter box, everywhere, so a new filter cartridge is not a problem - no need to seed it. I have even replaced entire filters with a brand new piece of hardware and media on an established tank with no trouble whatsoever.

If you are trying to set up a new tank and seed the filter media prior to starting it up, I like to put the new filter in an established tank for about 2 weeks beforehand. I do this with biowheels and sponge filters also. That's how long I "think" it takes for the bacteria to colonize.

Back
Top Bottom