Flow Directions with cannister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chompsticks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Rena xp3 on my F.W. 120 gallon and need to reduce the flow because the current is going to be to strong for my future angelfish.

I have a question on how should I position the outlets? Right now I have one horizontal spraybar and inlet on both ends of the tanks. Right now one spray bars points up and one points down to make a couterclockwise flow pattern.

I have been thinking about drilling the holes larger on the spray bars and/or drilling additional holes so that there is about a 70 degree angle between the holes. The plus side, I would be able to get some surface agitation and some flow along the bottom... However. would that be a bad idea since the flow would meet in the middle of the tank from both sides and pretty much create a dead zone??

Pictures below of current and what I want to do.

I am limited at re-positioning inlets and outlets because of tube lengths and my ability to remove them without breaking hardware.

I am also going to add a sponge filters on both inlets.
Red circles are spray bars pointed east west
flow1.jpg

flowh.jpg

if you're worried about too much flow just use the inline valves that attach to the pumps outflow

Yea, I thought about that, but I still wanted to get the most out of the filters. I went ahead and drilled holes and it did slow the velocity down quite a bit. Now I'm going to see how food and wastes travel throughout the tank.

Back
Top Bottom