Flow recommendations for 135 mixed reef? what pumps?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbeef61

Aquarium Advice Regular
im currently upgrading my 135 gallon system that was mainly FOWLR and a few mushrooms and softies to a full mixed reef...luckily with a 135 i have some depth on my side so i can add my lower light things to the bottom. i want to add mostly SPS since i have my lights on order from hellolights.com (3x250 ARO Pro with 15k) i also have 4x96 PC for actinics. my question now begins by asking what kind of flow should i have for this setup? i currently have starpolyps...shrooms....pagoda coral....hammer....plates etc...i would like to start adding some acros and montis...what kind of pumps can i add...i would like to keep it to two in the corners..(tank 72" long) right now im looking at seio and tunze....and both seem vastly different (features design and price) is there anything in between...what would you recommend for both brands...like if i had to get seio which ones should i get? if i can afford tunze which ones should i get? is there anything in between? let me know what you think

wow this is one i actually thought i could get some input/opinions on it seems to be a big debate

The SEIO Super Flow Pumps look like the best bang for the buck :D The minimum is 620 gph so one on each side should be plenty of water movement along with the 350 gph your Rena Filstar XP3 Can filter & whatever your sump/refugium pump puts out.

I know a lot of people use Maxi-Jet 1200 PH but they only put out 295 gph.

The lowest price I could find for SEIO pumps was at drsfostersmith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12074&OVMKT

If you could swing it I would go with a pair of Tunzes on a multi-controller. By far the most flow for the buck. You're going to want 10-20x turnover in the tank for the SPS (closer to 10 to suppot some of the longer LPS like torches, hammers & froggies).

If you really had too much money on your hands you could go for a Tunze wave maker. Those things are supposed to be beyond cool!

Phyl said:
If you could swing it I would go with a pair of Tunzes on a multi-controller. By far the most flow for the buck.

At $137+ per PH for the low end Tunzes (1600 gph) I still think the $69 spent on SEIO M1500 which does 1500 gph is still a better deal if he needs that kind of flow. That is unless of course he feels that he needs more than 1500 gph.

Phyl said:
(closer to 10 to suppot some of the longer LPS like torches, hammers & froggies).

Wouldn’t a pair of Tunzes be overkill for a 135 gal? The lowest flow one is the Turbelle® stream 6060 which puts out 1600 gph.
http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/tunze_turbelle_stream.htm

With two of them and the canister putting out 350 gph you're looking at a total of 3550 gph or 26+ turnover on the 135 gal tank. And that’s not including the pump for the sump which I assume also does 300+ gph I realize we are talking about lager heads/gentle flow and not the hard stream that the Maxi Jets put out but I wonder if the higher flow rate is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom