Not sure if this is the right forum but since there is usually alot of conversation around the amount and type of lighting needed, as well as how often bulbs should be replaced I thought I would pass this along. Frankly I found it somewhat disturbing. I'll quote from the story but reading the 2 page article would do everyone well. CFL (Compact fluorescent light bulbs)
"All CFLs contain mercury, a neurotoxin that can cause kidney and brain damage.
The amount is tiny — about 5 milligrams, or barely enough to cover the tip of a pen — but that is enough to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe drinking levels, Stanford University environmental safety researchers found. Even the latest lamps promoted as “low-mercury” can contaminate more than 1,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels. "
Shining a light on fluorescent bulbs - Environment - MSNBC.com