Fluorescent bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tawolcott

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another foru
Not sure if this is the right forum but since there is usually alot of conversation around the amount and type of lighting needed, as well as how often bulbs should be replaced I thought I would pass this along. Frankly I found it somewhat disturbing. I'll quote from the story but reading the 2 page article would do everyone well. CFL (Compact fluorescent light bulbs)

"All CFLs contain mercury, a neurotoxin that can cause kidney and brain damage.
The amount is tiny — about 5 milligrams, or barely enough to cover the tip of a pen — but that is enough to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe drinking levels, Stanford University environmental safety researchers found. Even the latest lamps promoted as “low-mercury” can contaminate more than 1,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels. "

Shining a light on fluorescent bulbs - Environment - MSNBC.com

Interesting article. Being young and listening to stories from my grandparents. They are always like, well we played with mercury in our hands and we are still alive aren't we? lol. That is nerve wrecking but we have tons of issues with everything modern. There are always pros and cons to something. Don't you love it!

Great article though. Thanks tawolcott

I know what you mean. If people only understood just how much RF we have flowing through our bodies 24x7.. not to mention polution we're breathing, preservatives in our food, artificial sweetners in our drinks, etc.

Still, probably a good idea to minimise exposure.

Back
Top Bottom