Fluorescent Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at Lowes, just happen to check through the light aisles. Well, I saw a few fluorescent strips (t5,t8,t12) that was 'wired' and did not come with a switch. I have been looking for such a thing because I want to wire my own custom strip to the inside of the canopy I am going to build for my 29g fowlr tank.

So my question is:

Can I just use any fluorescent strip on the market, or does it have to be made for aquariums. I will be placing a glass piece to protect them for the dangers of bare lights.

If I can use them, which should I use (t5,t8,t12) as it will be for a Live Rock tank?

I plan on using an actinic bulb and a sunlight bulb. Then using a blue led strip for night, it won't resemble the moon, but the GSP will be bred in captivity anyways. He should be fine with the pattern, as long as he knows its time for sleeping, right?

I will be doing ventilation so I'm not worried about heat.

Any helps is appreciated.

If I'm correct the bulbs that they have in home depot are 6700 spectrum, good for growing plants and algae. I also was looking at this option but decided against it.

If you proceed be sure to let us know how it turns out. :)

Back
Top Bottom