Fluorescent or Incandescent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks!

That may be closer to what I'm looking for with regard to an effect...

Nice tank, BTW! How many gallons is that? And do I see Gouramis? :-D

it's a 55 gallon too small haha. the thing i don't like about it is it doesn't have much depth not very good for aquascaping. and yes that's 5 pearl gourami. and please excuse the fake plastic rock on the left haha. i plan on redoing this aquarium once i get my 10 gallon settled in.

it's a 55 gallon too small haha. the thing i don't like about it is it doesn't have much depth not very good for aquascaping. and yes that's 5 pearl gourami. and please excuse the fake plastic rock on the left haha. i plan on redoing this aquarium once i get my 10 gallon settled in.

I know what you mean about it feeling "too small;" I have a 60, and it seems like our room can hold much larger...it's like the TV screen size effect, you know? It can never be "big enough." But bigger tanks mean more maintenance, and all that jazz...I think your 55 and our 60 are good enough in this instance. ;)

I also know what you meant about the depth and aquascaping -- our 60 isn't deep at all, it's got length, so we couldn't really do much with (fake) plants either especially after I made the back wall a curtain of bubbles from two wands...

I used to have Gouramis when I kept tropicals years ago as a younger kid; they always proved too aggressive for my tanks -- whether they were blue, kissing, pearl, gold...whenever I mixed them with Angels, the Angels were dead in the morning, their fins eaten off by the Gouramis and others...

well width and height wise i feel it's about perfect just wish it was about 2 feet deep instead of 1. not to mention rimless haha :)

all i've had so far are the gourami.but they all seem to get along pretty well. the occasional fight for dominance but i guess that's normal for every animal including us haha.

well width and height wise i feel it's about perfect just wish it was about 2 feet deep instead of 1. not to mention rimless haha :)

Gotcha. I like the fact that a huge tank can hold fish without making them feel like they're in captivity, you know? That's what bugs me about the whole hobby...that we keep these beautiful creatures in tanks in which they can only swim so far/so much...:(

all i've had so far are the gourami.but they all seem to get along pretty well. the occasional fight for dominance but i guess that's normal for every animal including us haha.

From what I remember, the Gouramis I owned didn't really fight with each other, but rather were aggressive with other species -- chasing them through the tank, nipping at their fins, etc. They're just known to be aggressive in general, from what I understand and have experienced.

I think I've decided to stick with the Aqueon fluorescent strip for now because it occurred to me that we have some plastic plants in the tank which are specifically geared to pick up the light from these kinds of bulbs -- notably those neon-pinkish colored plants that really "glow" under fluorescent lights and wouldn't really look right under standard incandescent lighting.

Given this, is it okay to keep the fluorescent lights?

if you dont like the color of the tank switch the bulb. go to home depot lowes even walmart and pick up some new bulbs. find one that looks the best for you. incandescent is hot and uses a lot more power not sure why anyone would want to use them over a tank. the light isnt going to hurt anything heck you dont even have to have light. is it a single or dual bulb fixture? if you have dual fixture you have a lot more options using different bulbs to get the effect you are looking for.

if you dont like the color of the tank switch the bulb. go to home depot lowes even walmart and pick up some new bulbs. find one that looks the best for you. incandescent is hot and uses a lot more power not sure why anyone would want to use them over a tank. the light isnt going to hurt anything heck you dont even have to have light. is it a single or dual bulb fixture? if you have dual fixture you have a lot more options using different bulbs to get the effect you are looking for.

Well, I had just stated that because of the fluorescent-esque plants that we have in the tank, I think I will stick with the lighting that's there now. I realize no light is required when there are plastic plants present. As for the fixture, it's a single-bulb strip hood.

Back
Top Bottom