flush kit on RO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a kent marine bare bones ro unit. It have used it now for over two years. I just got a tds meter that read 24ppm and the tap reads 416ppm. Does that sound about right? I want to improve by first adding a flush kit and maybe an add-on DI. Anybody have a link to a DIY flush kit or is it just cheaper to buy one already made?

TIA
Stephen

You are getting pretty good readings for the BB RO unit, it has a 95% rejection rate. Adding a DI filter will further reduce your TDS readings to near 0. A flush kit helps to keep the membrane from becoming clogged by allowing alot of water to flow acrossed the membrane, basically giving it a good rinse. There isn't a whole lot to the kit but I found the kit was about as cheap as I could get the parts for so I just went with the kit. Having the instructions with the kit also gives you some pics to fall back on if your not sure about how it is connected. HTH, Skip

I connected a flush kit to my RO yesterday. The tds read 40ppm before and after it read 10ppm. I wasn't expecting the flush kit to reduce the tds, was just hoping to extend the life of my membrane. I am not sure what brought it down, all I did was flush the membrane before turning out RO water. The only difference is that I had to replace the internal flow restrictor with an external one that came with the flush kit.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just purchase the flush kit. Yeah I was surprised to get these readings after over 2 years of service from this unit with no maintenance. :eek: :D

One more question, should I replace the inline carbon/sediment filter with another one just like it or get a different filter? I was thinking possibly a 1-micron or less filter. I also haven't mentioned that I have the entire house on a 5-micron string wound filter, then a 2-micron carbon wrapped filter followed by a water softener. I am on well water. Thanks again!

Stephen

I have always replaced with the same carbon/sediment filters every six months. And my sediment is a 1-micron and carbon is 5-micron. I believe the finer the sediment, the less likely you will get clogging at the carbon.

I am not sure if you need a water softener after the carbon. The membrane is supposed to remove all minerals so the water that comes out after the membrane is soft.

Back
Top Bottom