Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Fluval 203... help!!

Hiya,

I recently bought a 3 foot fish tank to replace my 2 foot tanks. all is set up and working, however i also bought cheaply a Fluval 203 filter with it and it works but i cant seem to get the right suction/vaccuum!! I did what the book says to do to release trapped air by tilting the canister but i just cant get rid of the air trapped in the intake tube!

Please can anyone help asap as i need the filter to work properly as the 2 normal filters i currently have running in it arent strong enough.

I know i should update to an 05 or 06 series but theyre sooo expensive i cant afford one right now.

THANKS!!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Does it have a priming handle to pump water through it? I looked up the 203 on line and it doesn't seem to have one.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No it doesnt seem to have anything, the book says to suck the water through to fill the canister etc etc but i cant! Lol
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianeebaby View Post
No it doesnt seem to have anything, the book says to suck the water through to fill the canister etc etc but i cant! Lol
I wouldn't either. However .. I would try submerging the hoses in the tank, then attach them to the filter without losing the water. Just make sure the hoses are held horizontally as you attached to the canister lid. May be a bit tricky, but worth a shot.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

You could try using a funnel in the end of the hose to fill it up and quickly drop the end under the water before too much spills out. I would do the intake hose, then try to run the filter. If it doesnt work, do the other and try again. Once you get a siphon going it should feed itself. You will probably get a lot of microbubbles at first, but they should clear up quickly.

Make sure the valves on both of the hoses are fully open when you start the pump.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

U can try turning it upsidedown over a buckett to expell the air

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com