Fluval 204 output tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imahawki

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I spent a lot more than I wanted to on a fluval 204 because I wanted my tank to be as quiet as possible. Then I get the thing home and the instructions say the output tube has to be obove the water line. WTF? That means its no more quiet than decent HOB? So is this true, does the output tube HAVE to be above the water line or not?

I own a Fluval 304 on my marine setup and it definitely does say to keep above the water line. However, I have mine below the water line for some time now without any issues. When the Fluval starts for the first time you will here some noise like something is wrong. But that should dissipate in a few days and it will run silent.

I have a Fluval 404 and I have it running below water with no problems. It is high enough to get some surface agitation for gas exchange though. As I remember, the main issue is that you want to start the filter with the output above water. After that, it is irrelevant. I don't remember hearing any noise when it was first started, but I can say it is just about silent.

Could also put it at the water line. Will give a little surface aggitation without the water falling, thus making it quieter.

My personal opinion, I like the sound of water. My new 55G is in my master bedroom next to my bed. The sound of running water from the HOB puts me to sleep. :)

From my reading of the instructions, and I am going from memory, it only states that the outlet needs to be above the waterline when starting it off.

After it is running I am sure you can put it under the water.

it might be to keep from causing a vacume when its first kicked on but honestly that whould be rare.. it should run better submerged.. you louse a little GPH if it was above the water constantly..

Thanks guys. I moved it down a little lower and boy am I HAPPY! This is exactly what I wanted from a noise/performance level. Good recomendation.

I run my 404 below the surface. I even started them up that way. Now I read the manual, and it says "in order to start the water flow, ensure that the output nozzle is above the water surface." Huh. Maybe thats why I had trouble getting it started a year ago. Even the large font, bold face type didn't catch my attention then.

After servicing, I just fire it back up. No problems. The nozzle above water part must be for the first time you prime it.

In a tank without CO2 injection, you want as much gas exchange as possible to increase O2 levels. Having the outflow above the waterline will agitate the surface enough to accomplish this. If you're injecting CO2 (as I believe you are), this defeats the purpose as agitation causes CO2 out gassing. I prefer to run mine under the water line. :wink:

you dont have to have it above the water level to aggitate the surfase.. you can bring up the output to just make the surfase break up some to get gas exchange going.. this has worked for me IME.. of course having the output above the surfase would be more benifical for gas exchange but Ive not needed to do it personaly..

Back
Top Bottom