Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fluval 206

Hmmm well I went with a fluval 206 and set it up tonight in place of my ac50 and I have to say its looking like a terrible move! Were my expectations too high!? I'm using xp3 and xp4 on bigger tanks and they move water well. If I put my hand I'm front of this ones output i can't even feel water coming out if its submerged. I have to plight it above surface! It visually looks like its moving water when I look at the tank. Not sure this wil be adequate to filter 36 gallon along with the fluval u4 underwater rate for a 65 gallon that moves way more water if U ask me(says 265 gph). Of course I threw away the box. I filled trays w biostars and bio max from other filter in bottom s Tray then more bio max in middle them in top the included fine pad and then pouch of purigen. Any helpful advice as to what I'm doing wrong or am I just being paranoid?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
Hmmm well I went with a fluval 206 and set it up tonight in place of my ac50 and I have to say its looking like a terrible move! Were my expectations too high!? I'm using xp3 and xp4 on bigger tanks and they move water well. If I put my hand I'm front of this ones output i can't even feel water coming out if its submerged. I have to plight it above surface! It visually looks like its moving water when I look at the tank. Not sure this wil be adequate to filter 36 gallon along with the fluval u4 underwater rate for a 65 gallon that moves way more water if U ask me(says 265 gph). Of course I threw away the box. I filled trays w biostars and bio max from other filter in bottom s Tray then more bio max in middle them in top the included fine pad and then pouch of purigen. Any helpful advice as to what I'm doing wrong or am I just being paranoid?
My 306 has really good flow, maybe you have too much media in the compartments? That can sometimes lower the flow quite a bit. Also, maybe you didnt push the white lever down all the way (you most likely did though)

Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post

My 306 has really good flow, maybe you have too much media in the compartments? That can sometimes lower the flow quite a bit. Also, maybe you didnt push the white lever down all the way (you most likely did though)
its weird. I had these high hopes and I was shot down! Lol! I guess it could b too much media but I figured the bio foam not being used and using the bio max/stars would help flow. Ill take it apart and try options I guess if I ever get free time
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank looks pretty clear w the filter combo I have and flow from 206 is ok I guess at best. Surface is moving but still barely can feel when I put hand right in front if nozzle. It's been running 24 hrs and still get occasional air bubble spit. That normal? Also as far as media the only thing I did diff than their stock recommend is to but bio stars in place of bio foam in bottom. Mid is bio max and top is polish pad that came with and instea of pouch of carbon I tossed in 2 small purigen 100ml size pouch
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Ozy
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The tank looks pretty clear w the filter combo I have and flow from 206 is ok I guess at best. Surface is moving but still barely can feel when I put hand right in front if nozzle. It's been running 24 hrs and still get occasional air bubble spit. That normal? Also as far as media the only thing I did diff than their stock recommend is to but bio stars in place of bio foam in bottom. Mid is bio max and top is polish pad that came with and instea of pouch of carbon I tossed in 2 small purigen 100ml size pouch
My fluval 205 is great. Ive had it set up on a 25g. I had to place much driftwood in front of the outlet to break up the water. The 206 should work really well. You should really feel the water flow coming out. Check the instructions about how to place the filter and how the hoses should sit. Ie if your hoses are looped or your filter is not low enough it will effect the water output.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy View Post

My fluval 205 is great. Ive had it set up on a 25g. I had to place much driftwood in front of the outlet to break up the water. The 206 should work really well. You should really feel the water flow coming out. Check the instructions about how to place the filter and how the hoses should sit. Ie if your hoses are looped or your filter is not low enough it will effect the water output.
+1
Hoses should be as straight as possible. Also, if you're *still* getting little spurts of bubbles, check your hosing, there might be a loose spot where air can enter. It's took about 30 minutes for mine to clear out all the bubbles. A day is a really long time.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys. I don't get it. The hoses are not to long I don't think. I followed directions step for step and made them 4 inches longer than the top of aquarium.ive set up canisters before just not fluval. Ill break it down Saturday and rebuild it. Can't be the media right?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks guys. I don't get it. The hoses are not to long I don't think. I followed directions step for step and made them 4 inches longer than the top of aquarium.ive set up canisters before just not fluval. Ill break it down Saturday and rebuild it. Can't be the media right?
Hmm... When I first got my fluval, I left the filter floss in for more than a few weeks, not taking it out after the second water change. i didn't notice the flow was down until the water appeared cloudy.

That wasn't right, I did a full water change and when the water was lowered I noticed the flow was barely anything. I pulled apart the filter and took out the filter floss. It looked fined... But when I set everything back up, I emptied all the water from the filter and did a manual prime.
The amount of what I think was filterfloss in the tubing was immense, and it wouldn't stop coming through the outflow. I had a bunch of white stuff floating around my tank for a day, but the flow was back to the way it use to be, coming out like a jet
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post

Hmm... When I first got my fluval, I left the filter floss in for more than a few weeks, not taking it out after the second water change. i didn't notice the flow was down until the water appeared cloudy.

That wasn't right, I did a full water change and when the water was lowered I noticed the flow was barely anything. I pulled apart the filter and took out the filter floss. It looked fined... But when I set everything back up, I emptied all the water from the filter and did a manual prime.
The amount of what I think was filterfloss in the tubing was immense, and it wouldn't stop coming through the outflow. I had a bunch of white stuff floating around my tank for a day, but the flow was back to the way it use to be, coming out like a jet
Same thing happens when I bust apart my filstars. The initial crap thy comes out is white flaky stuff. Nasty but clears in an hr or so.

As for this 206 maybe the flow is good and my expectations were too high. After all its only rated for a 40 gallon tank. My filstar canisters are for up to 175 and 265 gallons! The tank looks pretty clear and the combo of the 206 and u4 filters seem to be working well! I jumped the gun though and have a cascade 1000 coming too from amazon. I was maybe going to use and replace both current filters. My friends 55 cichlid tank has one by itself and the waters like glass! IfI swap them that would give me the added interior tank space by removing the u4 internal filter! More wasted money and decisions to make! Can u say never satisfied!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It could just be too small for that tank maybe? I have one on my 16g and it flows really well. When my 16 was a saltwater tank I didn't even need to run a circ pump or powerhead in the tank. Maybe there is some sort of issue going on with yours??

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Lighting | LED'S »