Fluval 3 Plus vs external filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermint

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!!

I have both a fluval 3 plus filter & an older external filter that hangs on the side of the aquarium. I am only using the fluval 3 plus filter for now. I own a 20 gallon aquarium with just 4 fancy guppies (for now) and about 15 babies in a net.

My question is:
Which filter is better?

My concern:
The fluval 3 Plus filter doesn't seem to suction as much as the external filter that I once had. It is good in a way because it doesn't suck up the baby guppies swimming around but is it doing its job properly compared to the external filter?

Thanks so much!

HOB= Hang on Back Filter, the other one you're talking about. It really depends on what the brand is. if it is an aquaclear filter, imo, it will do a better job than the internal. if its not an aquaclear, i'd say you're probably better off with the internal. If you have a high bioload, you should run both of them though

Yes that's the name! AquaClear 30 is the HBO I own.

Before I go and buy media & change. Wondering what are the reasons that make it better while it's much much cheaper than the fluval one.

Thank you!

I wouldnt even bother with the fluval, just go out and get an aquaclear 50, itll be just fine unless your bioload is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom