Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Well one of the little plastic clips from the clear plastic circular cover busted as I was taking it off (my fault b/c I thought it was undone already and lifted, but it was not).

That could be it, the impeller (white piece of plastic, shaped like a star) looks fine).

Everything about it though seems like it can break easily, the handles that lock on the sides, the paper thin plastic, the fragile ceramic shaft the width of a toothpick: all too fragile.

The flow is also not what I was expecting, though it is probably what it should be, I was just expecting/hoping for a little more.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If possible I would run a long flexible brush through the tubing. I just did that on my fluval 304 and it made a world of difference.

A bit of a pain to clean but the only filter I have ever used. I did break the blue outside clip on mine and had to buy a replacement. My fault, I pressed way too hard and it wasn't seated properly. I find mine can be noisy after a big water change if air gets trapped in it. Sometimes I turn it off for about 20 minutes to let air gather then it comes rushing out when I turn it back on. Mostly I give it a few gental shakes and out the trapped air comes.

The price was good though. And it gets the job done for sure.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkos View Post
I find mine can be noisy after a big water change if air gets trapped in it. Sometimes I turn it off for about 20 minutes to let air gather then it comes rushing out when I turn it back on. Mostly I give it a few gental shakes and out the trapped air comes.
That's one thing I love about the Fluval FX5. I love the fact that it does that all by itself, every 24 hours. It shuts off for 2 minutes and allows air to escape, then turns back on. It also does that 2 minutes after each time it is plugged back in.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yep, the FX5 rocks!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt420dude View Post
Well one of the little plastic clips from the clear plastic circular cover busted as I was taking it off (my fault b/c I thought it was undone already and lifted, but it was not).

That could be it, the impeller (white piece of plastic, shaped like a star) looks fine).

Everything about it though seems like it can break easily, the handles that lock on the sides, the paper thin plastic, the fragile ceramic shaft the width of a toothpick: all too fragile.

The flow is also not what I was expecting, though it is probably what it should be, I was just expecting/hoping for a little more.
More than one of my fluvals has one broken plastic clip on the impellor cover. If you make sure to push it all the way down, it should eliminate the noise issue. I occasionally have the small rattling noise you have, I take the top off and reseat the plastic impellor cover, solves the problem. Other than that I've never broken anything else on the darn things. I like them quite a lot. You can use plastic pot scrubbers if you want as media, as long as they don't have any antibacterial stuff added.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com