Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #1

Fluval 304 Advice

I have a 304 that until now has worked great. However, today I noticed that the flow coming out of the output tube had significantly decreased. I'm guessing down to below 100gph. I think that may have been why two of my clams died recently.

Anyway, I opened it up, cleaned off as much gunk as I could, and replaced the four sponges with new ones. I left the three trays of Bio-Rings alone, so I think I will be fine for bacteria. I also took out the impeller and cleaned the magnet part on both surfaces.

Now thats its back together, the gph is up, but still not back to full force. I'm guessing now its around 200gph, while before it was closer to 250gph. Is there anything else I can do?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting...I have the 404 and it's peak gph is 225. I think perhaps you are considering the "other" gph rating, known as pump output. These are two different things. The pump output is what the impeller drive is doing. The filtration volume is the actual gph.

HTH.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Interesting...I have the 404 and it's peak gph is 225. I think perhaps you are considering the "other" gph rating, known as pump output. These are two different things. The pump output is what the impeller drive is doing. The filtration volume is the actual gph.

HTH.
Regardless of what numbers you use, my point is that the filter gph is down, and I was looking for advice to raise it back up. No offense JChillin, but I don't need a lecture on filter vs. pump output, but I do need some advice for making my filter work right again.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You didn't get one. The filtration rate of the 304 is 185 gph and you're way above that if you're getting 200 gph. If you felt my answer was a lecture, I sincerely apologize for it.

I had asked the same question some time back and was surprised about this fact as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i experienced similar loss in power in my 304. i tried to run the filter w/o any media, but still it didn't get back to its old self. so i cleaned the media, reinserted it, and let things run. and it has been that way since a month now. i'm guessing something stuck in the inlet/outlet tubes, just too lazy to check it out.
instead added a AC300. 40g tank.

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you check the hoses? I have flushed mine and used a scrubby in them, but I still get guck spraying out when the filter first comes on. I think stuff gets stuck in the grooves of the tubing.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Do you have a brush that can clean the inside of the intake tube.. It can slow down the gph bad sometimes?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
You didn't get one. The filtration rate of the 304 is 185 gph and you're way above that if you're getting 200 gph. If you felt my answer was a lecture, I sincerely apologize for it.

I had asked the same question some time back and was surprised about this fact as well.
I don't have a gph meter or whatever they use to measure gph, as I'm sure you know. I was using number just to illustrate how much the output has declined.

I just took out the media and shook them out in my tank, it made a big mess but the filter seems to be back to close to the flow rate it had before. I did a water change too to try to capture as much gunk as I could. Hopefully this solves the problem, thanks everyone for the advice.

Greenmagi, I hope I never have to break down all my tubing and start scrubbing the inside of it with a pipe cleaner, if I do I am going to seriously consider going back to a good old HOB filter. This is a lot of work!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Greenmagi, I hope I never have to break down all my tubing and start scrubbing the inside of it with a pipe cleaner, if I do I am going to seriously consider going back to a good old HOB filter. This is a lot of work!
They make a snake coil brush that you can just run through the hose when your doing your normal filter matainace.. Hagan used to sell it with a brush kit for the fulvals.. Im pretty sure they still do.. I thought that maybe the new Fulvals came with a brush kit.. I guess they dont.. too bad! it would definatly be a good value!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
They make a snake coil brush that you can just run through the hose when your doing your normal filter matainace.. Hagan used to sell it with a brush kit for the fulvals.. Im pretty sure they still do.. I thought that maybe the new Fulvals came with a brush kit.. I guess they dont.. too bad! it would definatly be a good value!
Yeah, my tubes are a bit tricker because the go through a UV on the way back into the tank. But yeah, a brush like that would be nice.

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com