Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Fluval 304 Leak

I thought I remembered reading a post about this, but I couldn't find anything.
I cleaned my fluval 304 today and put it back under the aquarium. I didn't bother making sure it wasn't leaking at that time. I left for a few hours and when I came home, I lost about 4 gallons from my 75 gal tank. Apparently, the water was leaking from under the one handle out of a small hole. There are four of these holes on the canister. One on each corner of the indentations where the handles are. I have owned this particular filter for nearly a year now and haven't had any problems and I'm pretty sure that I had everything assembled correctly. Any thoughts or experiences that might shed some light on this?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Thanks everybody for looking, but I think I solved the problem. I must have bumped the oring slightly out of place when I was doing things in a haste. This caused the slow leak. I have been using it ever since leak free since I took it apart and reassembled. I also used some petroleum jelly to lubricate the orings. Hopefully this isn't harmful to anything living inside.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Not petroleum jelly! It's not harmfull to fishies or inverts, but it will break down the rubber on the o-ring. There's a silicone gel you can get (I think Big Al's has it) which is designed for seals (rubber o-rings, not sardine eating aquatic mammals!).
55g Reef
(3) Maxi-Jet 1200's, Wavemaker Pro
AquaC Remora Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
Thanks for the input. I will pick some up the next time I place an order from Big Als. I ordered some orings because the leak came back. This too did not solve the problem. I finally found the cause though, in case anyone's interested. I must have pushed too hard to get the motor back in place after the cleaning. There was a 1" hair line crack near the left handle. It was so small that I had to shine a light on it to see it, but it was enough to cause a gph leak.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
Would dialectric compound work ok? This is what is used on electrical conections or would that be toxic to the fish?

fluval, leak, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com