Fluval 304 or HOT wet-dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wet-Dry or Fluval 304

• HOT Wet-Dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fluval 304

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tazcrash69

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, While I'm setting up I want to pose this question to some of the guys who have "been there". I'm planning on having a decent fish load.

I'm currently debating between using my fluval 304 with a new surface skimmer, or an Amiracle HOT wet-dry that can be seen here:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/39dde8ad/bc/filter/hot+wet-dry.gif?bf9dcRDByvuf1t2Q for my 55 gallon tank.

The wet-dry is brand new, uses a Rio 800 to get water out of the tank.
I can seal the top fairly reasonably so outgassing of Co2 in the filter is not that large an issue. My bigger concern is the surface skimming (I would build an overflow), and the fact that the water pours in like any other HOT filter, and generates lots of ripples. I don't get a lot of sump space in that thing, but it does give me a place to put the heater. If I do use the wet-dry I would probably have some small power heads to increase circulation or my HOT magnum (no wheel).

The fluval is probably about 6 years old, and I'd put some bio-media in the carbon chamber. along with the current sponges, and ceramic rings.

So which would you do?, and more importantly why?

TIA

I prefer a canister filter for planted tanks because of the ability to control rippling and splashing, which are a concern for me. The water need not get exposed to air at all in a planted tank, since plants will supply O2 and any rippling or splashing will outgas CO2, as you mention. That is my personal preference, though. :wink:

Dito.

Canister filters are the best for a planted tank! Plus you'll save money if you already got one :wink: . For that you can buy something else (great plants, great fish, all these little odds and ends that add up so well).

The canisters work well for planted tanks. You dont need to filter excessively the plants will help.

rich311k said:
The canisters work well for planted tanks. You dont need to filter excessively the plants will help.

Exactly. A wet/dry may be far more efficient at converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate...but in a planted tank the plants will soak up excess ammonia, and as long as your cycle is intact, nitrite never has a chance to be a problem.

So a canister just becomes easier, and just as efficient.

Back
Top Bottom