Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Wet-Dry or Fluval 304
HOT Wet-Dry 0 0%
Fluval 304 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Fluval 304 or HOT wet-dry

OK, While I'm setting up I want to pose this question to some of the guys who have "been there". I'm planning on having a decent fish load.

I'm currently debating between using my fluval 304 with a new surface skimmer, or an Amiracle HOT wet-dry that can be seen here:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/39dde8ad...9dcRDByvuf1t2Q for my 55 gallon tank.

The wet-dry is brand new, uses a Rio 800 to get water out of the tank.
I can seal the top fairly reasonably so outgassing of Co2 in the filter is not that large an issue. My bigger concern is the surface skimming (I would build an overflow), and the fact that the water pours in like any other HOT filter, and generates lots of ripples. I don't get a lot of sump space in that thing, but it does give me a place to put the heater. If I do use the wet-dry I would probably have some small power heads to increase circulation or my HOT magnum (no wheel).

The fluval is probably about 6 years old, and I'd put some bio-media in the carbon chamber. along with the current sponges, and ceramic rings.

So which would you do?, and more importantly why?

Aquarium: 55 gallon with 60 lbs fluorite 20 lbs gravel
Filtration: Eheim 2026 Pimp #168 with Fluval surface skimmer
Lighting: PC 130 watts of 6700k PCs 12hours, 130 watts 10K 4 hours.
Co2 suppl.: 10lb tank with Milwaukee al in one.
Flora:Java Moss, Water Sprite, Microsword, Anacharis, Water Primrose, Rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus x barthii, Bacopa monnieri
Fauna: 3 Sailfin Mollies, 8 Tiger barbs, 6 Cory Julii, 6 Ottos, 2 SAEs, 9 Amano shrimp.
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I prefer a canister filter for planted tanks because of the ability to control rippling and splashing, which are a concern for me. The water need not get exposed to air at all in a planted tank, since plants will supply O2 and any rippling or splashing will outgas CO2, as you mention. That is my personal preference, though.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canister filters are the best for a planted tank! Plus you'll save money if you already got one . For that you can buy something else (great plants, great fish, all these little odds and ends that add up so well).
Previously: 2x 10gal tank, 45gal aquascaped, 70gal aquascaped
Currently: 16gal FW, 40W CF, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II/Tahitan Moon Sand, PH 6.5, kH2, gH 4
Tiffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The canisters work well for planted tanks. You dont need to filter excessively the plants will help.
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by rich311k
The canisters work well for planted tanks. You dont need to filter excessively the plants will help.
Exactly. A wet/dry may be far more efficient at converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate...but in a planted tank the plants will soak up excess ammonia, and as long as your cycle is intact, nitrite never has a chance to be a problem.

So a canister just becomes easier, and just as efficient.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

dry, fluval, val, wet, wet-dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com