Fluval 305

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRcichlids

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys my fluval 305 filter runs for 2-4 days then stops pumping water but if i turn it off then back on again it will work again for another 2-4 days then stop pumping again . any ideas as to what this could be due to ?

Its a Fluval:banghead:

Lol what does that mean? And my inference is that either air is entering your filter somehow, your filter is not below the proper threshold for normal operation, or there is an issue with your impeller.

take your impeller out clean and check it . make sure it is still glued to the magnet. make sure it stops when u spin it. clean the hole that it sits in and try again.

Lol what does that mean? And my inference is that either air is entering your filter somehow, your filter is not below the proper threshold for normal operation, or there is an issue with your impeller.
I'm sure I'll catch a ration of doo over this statement, but in my opinion they are junk.
I've used several in the past that came with used set ups. And had trouble with every one of them. One was the cheesy ceramic impeller shaft breaking several times, another was the exact problem you are describing, another was the cheap locking handles breaking at the canister body, and most of them you couldn't get a good seal between the motor housing, and canister base. So they would suck air and either quit completely, or have a very low flow. Not to mention they are a PITA to prime.
That's what I meant by(because its a Fluval)
I wouldn't take one if it was the last filter available!!!

I concur with Fost53. I won't touch anything by Hagen. My Fluval 405 broke. My ac 110 broke. My first aqueon 55/75 is almost 2 years old and going strong. So I added another 55/75. My water is crystal clear and my parameters are almost perfect compared to when I ran just 1 55/75 with an ac 110. Just replace the 305 with 1 or 2 aqueon quite flows and you will be good. Throw the fluval bio media in the back of the 55/75's and you will have some of the best water that you could have this side of going to a complete wet/dry trickle system. And the aqueon's are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than the fluval's. And a lot less of a hassle.

I concur with Fost53. I won't touch anything by Hagen. My Fluval 405 broke. My ac 110 broke. My first aqueon 55/75 is almost 2 years old and going strong. So I added another 55/75. My water is crystal clear and my parameters are almost perfect compared to when I ran just 1 55/75 with an ac 110. Just replace the 305 with 1 or 2 aqueon quite flows and you will be good. Throw the fluval bio media in the back of the 55/75's and you will have some of the best water that you could have this side of going to a complete wet/dry trickle system. And the aqueon's are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than the fluval's. And a lot less of a hassle.

Lol man the haters! Ill admit fluval has its kinks but for anyone that's handy it's not abig deal to fix. One of the handles broke on mine as well and I quick super glued it and its good as new. My impeller shaft broke also so I replaced that as well. Sometimes priming is a prob but I guarantee like me, those who also have trouble it's because your filter is not the proper height difference between water level and the filter. The prob is the premade stands set you up for failure on that one so that's something we have to deal with. But also if you are getting a second hand filter you can't really knock fluval for that. Every filter deteriorates in some way or another. Regardless of your experience every filter has issues

Bshenan, I could fix them. If the parts where available. But why would I bother? The 55/75 has never let me down. And does at least 3 times the job of the hagen products. And taking into account that I have owned and have many moons of personal experience with all 3 products, I'm pretty sure I'm not a "hater". Until you've walked a mile in my shoes, name calling, however lite hearted, is inappropriate.

Bshenan, I could fix them. If the parts where available. But why would I bother? The 55/75 has never let me down. And does at least 3 times the job of the hagen products. And taking into account that I have owned and have many moons of personal experience with all 3 products, I'm pretty sure I'm not a "hater". Until you've walked a mile in my shoes, name calling, however lite hearted, is inappropriate.

I'm going to apologize if you thought that was an insult directed at you or anyone else? Hence the "lol" at the end. It was merely a harmles joking gesture. I at no point said the aqueon was any better or worse, I'm abig proponent as I have a couple. I have no issue replacing cheap pieces here and there but I sympathize with your troubles. Again, no quarrel here

I had probs with trying to prime my new one ... Added 2 gal of more water to tank and works good

I'm sure I'll catch a ration of doo over this statement, but in my opinion they are junk.
I've used several in the past that came with used set ups. And had trouble with every one of them. One was the cheesy ceramic impeller shaft breaking several times, another was the exact problem you are describing, another was the cheap locking handles breaking at the canister body, and most of them you couldn't get a good seal between the motor housing, and canister base. So they would suck air and either quit completely, or have a very low flow. Not to mention they are a PITA to prime.
That's what I meant by(because its a Fluval)
I wouldn't take one if it was the last filter available!!!

I own 2x1+,2x2+,1x3+,2x205 & 2xFX5. They have been in service for 5-8 years, I've needed to replace a couple o rings and a few odd bits, try a new Fluval, they keep my fish alive, I've never broke the impeller shaft!
This isn't doo!
If the FX5 stays off I clean the impeller, the first time took 15 months (a test) now I clean it annually. if you check your filter with each clean it won't catch you out unexpectedly. My 205 struggled with priming because it was too close to the base of the tank. Increase the gap. Fixed. They specify a distance.
This is not a ration to you, but my experience with Fluval.

The ceramic shaft allows you to use them with Marine or brackish set ups. Bonus.

I absolutely love Fluval products, I have a 150w heater on my rodi water tank, and have a 305 on the 72g bowfront. haven't had a single issue with either one.

Back
Top Bottom