Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval 305 issue

Sounds like it is trying to work but not working. I replaced the impeller cover because it was broken and not allowing the shaft to stay in place. Sounds like the motor is working but not spitting out water.

Another issue with this filter, I have 3 (2 305's and one 405) on my 125 tank is every time I do a water change I have to fill the output hose with tank water. The primer pump never gets it going so I fill it all the way up and then it would work again.

None of my other filters do this. Wondering if I should just get a all new filter.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you replace the impeller along with the cover? Maybe its not spinning? Try giving it a good cleaning. Sounds like you know how to prime the lines; so I assume thats not an issue here?

Priming these things can be a pain but usually they get going. You can avoid having to prime it each time by shutting the valves before doing your water change.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you replace the impeller along with the cover? Maybe its not spinning? Try giving it a good cleaning. Sounds like you know how to prime the lines; so I assume thats not an issue here?

Priming these things can be a pain but usually they get going. You can avoid having to prime it each time by shutting the valves before doing your water change.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post

I did not replace the impeller, just the cover. I did realize after this post that the intake strainer had come off and was floating in the tank. I checked it and it is cracked to the point where it won't stay on anymore. I need to get another on of these now and don't want to try and prime the unit before doing so.

I will get an new impeller shaft at the same time and see if that helps. Thanks.

Tags
fluval, fluval 305, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com