Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fluval 305 spews Brown Junk?

Hello all,
When I clean my filter (once a week) I start it back up and get a CLOUD of this strange, light brown junk spraying out of the tubing.

What is this junk? It must be defeating the purpose completely of cleaning the filter. Is this some kind of algae?

Im planning on buying more of the fluval tubing, but am suspicious that the ribbing is catching something nasty. How on earth is this coming out of the "clean" end of the filter anyway?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say there is a part of the filter your not completely cleaning. And when you clean your filter it comes out. You might also want to try cleaning out the outake tubing.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

if you turn it back on fast, it will do that. when i clean my two fluvals, i use the hoses to fill the bucket. the water coming out fast helps clean them. then once im done, i slowly turn the valves back on and it doesnt do that. it will do it if i open the valves real quick

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

backflush the hoses, all filters with hoses get this junk in it. just MULM. can be highly toxic.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If rinsing it out real well, stretching it, doesn't do it. You could bleach it. or, switch the intake and output hoses.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Highly toxic? YIPES!
I wonder if I could close the value partially before turn on to limit the flow and then slowly open the valve?

Although, I still hate the idea of that crud just being there. Maybe I will just detach them and clean them in the bathtub really well.

Matt
Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

it can be, not always, its the same stuff that builds up under the ever so hated UGF plate, and its hated because of this reason.

when the power goes off then kicks back on the canister reverse sucks then sucks normally, this loosens mulm in the return line and spews it into the tank, even low levels can be toxic to some fish.

I am converting to wet/dry in a week or so(got the stuff just want to get the 210 up and going before I tear into another build) because of this reason.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's definately in the hoses I get this sometimes,you need to rinse all the hoses as well to eliminate this
Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
I wonder if I could close the value partially before turn on to limit the flow and then slowly open the valve?
thats what i do. leave them off, turn it on, then slowly open the valves... one way i've found to help clear the junk is when doing a water change, open the valve fast, close it, open it fast... not sure how the pump feels about that, but it does clean alot of that junk out

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, fluval 305, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com