Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive also heard.that the fluvals are notorious for leaking..though..

Old 02-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson133 View Post
whats is polyfill ? lol
Polyester fill, a great bargain compared to filter floss. I bought a 20oz bag back in April and at a rate of two filter maintenance per month, I
still enough to last me till this April. Did I mention that for the past 5 months I've been stuffing two media trays with poly-fill?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yeah what I really like is that you can customize the media you can put in on the fluval 306.
The Rena's have the same capabilities. 3 full media trays, you can add what you like. The thing i like with Rena's, the media tray has horizontal dividers opposed to vertical in the Fluvals. I had no problem with the performance of the Fluval, just some other issues.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I have a Fluval 305 for my 37-gallon tank. I love how quiet it is and how clean my tank stays with it. I have never had problems with it since I installed it 8 months ago. For filtering, I use ceramic rings in both halves of the bottom two drawers and use polyfill in the top drawer. I saved the carbon bags in case I ever have to medicate the tank, but do not use them normally. the only thing I recommend that they dont really stress is to keep the gasket moist with petroleum jelly. I clean the gasket with every maintenance and recoat it with a thin film to maintain moisture and to enhance the seal.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
ive also heard.that the fluvals are notorious for leaking..though..
From what I have seen, most leaks are caused by improperly lubricated gaskets. Dry rubber will try to roll out of the groove when pressure is placed on them such as when trying to install the top or the water lines. Most people that take time to use a dab of petroleum jelly on the gaskets have few problems in that area. That isnt to say there cant be some gasket failures, it just greatly reduces the possibility.

A mispositioned gasket will get crushed or cut and will leak, naturally. Lubrication helps the gasket slide into place, and tends not to roll.

Not hating, just passing on my experiences...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 306 and love it... Keeps the water quality great, the compartments are awesome and big enough to house as much media as u want for a 55gl(I have it on the same size tank)... Just regular maintenance every 2weeks-month depends on tank itself....I love sponges in the 1st level compartments to, keeps bio-media clean.

I use it for planted discus tank.
And as for the drying out of the rubber, dip in old tank water on occasion or wat the post b4 said

Never had a leak with a 205 or my newer 306
Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im running both 305 and 306 on my 75 gallon and must say that im impressed how quiet these filters are running. my water is crystal clear too.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm actually running a 406 on my 67g and i love it! Its basically silent, easy maintenance, adjustable flow is great. Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with either a Fluval or Rena. With proper maintenance on gaskets and seals either one will do great!
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

alright cool. thanks everyone for being so helpful

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com