Fluval 4 Plus internal filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody have any experience with these?

I'm thinking of retiring my two HOBs for one of these to reduce the amount of surface aggitation. I'd like to see what the CO2 in the tank is like before I resort to CO2.

Do you mean a fluval 404? I like cannister filters because they're so versatile. You're correct about less CO2 gassing out of the water if the surface is agitated less. The thing is unless you're adding CO2 it won't make any apprecialbe difference. There will always be a small percentage of dissolved CO2 in the water from respiration, but you'll never have enough to worry about the gas out unless you have a method to introduce in the first place.
:wink:

HTH

I'm talking about this one:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PROD_ID=01001750021001
( A-175 Fluval 4 "Plus" Underwater Filter - 110 V )

I'm just wondering if using an underwater filter would reduce the agitation on the surface enough to keep enough CO2 in the water to avoid using an external CO2 setup.

Basically, I have two HOBs and whether I need to use CO2 or not, am I going to have to discontinue use of them in order to grow some healthy plants. I'm not talking the status of "planted aquarium", but I'd like to be able to have enough green in the tank that the fish have something to swim around and hid amongst.

I've only been doing this a year, so I'm a little wary of the CO2 since it could hurt the fish if not used correctly. I really can't afford some of the setups that folks have (for CO2). Just trying to get as much education as I can so I can make an informed decision.

I'm trying to get the lighting up now - hoping to get some replies on the Nova T5's so I know what I would do for an enclosure (or if one is needed).

I recently added the fluval 1 internal to my 20gal. I was trying to increase surface agitation and filtration so I'm not much help for the whole co2 aspect. I'm pretty happy with the filter. I'm pretty sure it won't be enough for a 40gal though. Maybe try looking at a canister as brian had mentioned. They are quite flexible in that you can adjust flow rate and the direction of the outlet to minimize surface agitation. Others my be able to add more to this but that's just my thought.

:D I've got the point black udder. Many times people hear and read things that are half truths and then accept them as fact. Things like in order grow plants you need sufficient lighting. Well, there are plenty of plants that can be grown without alot of lighting. Without CO2 injection. And, without the cost and problems of the higher tech tanks. I know because have both.

Here's what can be done with 1wpg, no CO2 and very little ferts.

Attachments

• low_light_55-_01_009.jpg
    low_light_55-_01_009.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 112
Back
Top Bottom