Fluval 404 or FilStar XP3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got my new Thatfishplace.com catolog in the mail.
They have advertised the Fluval 404 canister filter priced at 94.99$ good up to 100Gal. and 340 GPH

Also they have the Filstar XP3 for 108.99$ good up to 175Gal. and Unknown GPH.

The price is very close so that is not the issue.

I see the Filstar has flow control. Does the fluval have flow control?

Your honest opinion. Which is the best out of the two?!? and What are you experiences?

I'd like to know before i invest into something like this.
Thanks guys.

I have the Fluval 304 and it works well and is well made, but I can't compare the two.

I'd go with the filstar. I've heard better things about them, but I think the stated gph is a little lower. More like 250-300 depending on what kind of media you use. what size tank are you going to be using this on?
I just got an eheim 2217 from petsolutions.com and its pretty sweet :D

I have the 404 and yes, it does have a flow control and it is very efficient. I set it up three weeks ago and if not for water changes, you forget that it's there. I believe all manufacturer's give a gph rating of an empty tank and no media for their products. That being said, my tank water is crystal clear.

Hello, my first post here. I have had the Filstar for over a year and love it. Unfortunately, I have never used the Fluval, so I cannot accurately compare it. As for the Filstar, mine is very quiet although I have heard that some have had noise problems. Maintenance is easy since everything is contained in filter baskets. The filter has a shut-off valve that maintains the suction so there is no need to re-prime when reassembling the filter.

I have Filstar and love them. The last 'design' for Fluval's was really bad, but the ones out now apparently have those problems fixed.
Either should be fine.

I have the 404 and haven't had any issues with it. It's quiet, pretty easy to maintain, and seems reliable enough. That's a great price, my LFS charged me over double that for my two.. :cry:

FYI DrsFosterSmith.com and BigAlsOnline.com both have the XP3 for $99.99. Big Al's has the 404 for $89.99. Drs F&S have the 404 for $124.99.

HTH

I second buying it at big al's. Shipping is a flat $11.95 after $150, so pile on all the other stuff (I'm sure you have plenty on your list) you need to buy in the same order. It'll save you a bunch in the long run. Buy it on a Wed or Thur (before noon) in order to get double points!!!

thanks everyone.
Thanks FishyRican those are great prices, I'm gonna check those sites. BTW are you Puerto Rican? BORICUA!
But anyway, i think im gonna go with the Filstar XP3 from what i read so far.
Im goin to use the filter on a 80 Gal. planted. for my convicts, puffers and rope fish.
But im gonna give this thread sometime before i buy. i really wan to hear from someone who has owned both.

I have been using the xp3 for almost three months now. I like the fact that it comes wiht both a spray bar or powerjet nozzle for options. The flow rate is a good idea but you probably won't need to turn the flow down on an 80gal. Maintenance is really easy and the "no-re-priming" is nice too. I haven't used the fluvol so I can't compare but I too heard more negatives about the fluvol than the filstar. It is hard to compare unless someone who has used both can give you a direct comparison....
Good luck with your purchase

I second that, Xp3 is a great filter and www.bigals.com is the place to buy it. If you can find for less they will beat the price by 5 % all you have to do is call their landline. I use the XP3 on my 90 gal freshwater tank and flow control is great for when you feed the fish. (it doesn't sink food to the bottom that quick). HTH

BTW are you Puerto Rican? BORICUA!

Wepa! Juncos, PR by way of Springfield, Massachusetts, then Orlando, then Virginia . . .

But im gonna give this thread sometime before i buy. i really wan to hear from someone who has owned both.

Some of the prices I found were sale prices, so you may want to keep an eye on them.

Another vote for the XP3. I've had it on my 70 for about 3 months now also. No complaints/problems. The only thing I had to do was drill a couple more holes in the spray bar to reduce the current I was getting, as my 70 is a tall tank and only 13 inches wide.

I have MTS so bad. lol
I have one 10 Gal.
A 20 Gal. Hex
And a 80 Gal. lol (thats what i bought the XP3 for)
For my 80 Gal i want to make it planted but i dont know about CO2 and all that yet.

Back
Top Bottom