Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Franco...this is easy. Rather than making adjustments on the more expensive item, adjust the bubble wall. You can get a smaller bubble wand or, move it further away from the intake.

I also have a wall in my 75 gal. The wall is centered so it is equidistant from both sides and doesn't interfere with the intake or the heaters.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very true, i have to look at my tank and see. I only have a 55 gal and i bought 2 23" bouble wands, so my boubles flow across the whole back wall expect for an in on either ends. If i had smaller ones i would adjust them but i just bought these and put them in like last week, so i figure maybe i can move the intake onto the very corner of the tank where there is no bubbles. Plus the back wall is going to look real good once i get the background going.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

LOL...the footprint for the 75g is the same as the 55gal. (48"), so I can see what you have accomplished. Not exactly a bad idea but it will cause you trouble down the road.

Moving the intake further toward the corner of the tank IMO will reduce it's effectiveness. Have no specific data about that...just visualizing the intake in the corner doesn't look good.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

why will it cause me problems down the road, maybe i should rethink my thought lol.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

This is based on a simple formula. The canister is more beneficial to your tank than the bubbles. It's cheaper to adjust this item rather than adjust the canister.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

so your saying bringing the intake shaft that sits in the tank to the back corner of the tank is a bad idea. I mean im only just going to slide the intake shaft where the water gets sucked up into the canister and just repoistion it in the tank. I know you guys are th experts but you really think repoistioning the intake flow and putting it into the corner of the tank out of the wa is a problem huh.... let me know if thats what your getting at, i dont see how it could be, i mean all water is going to flow and get into the canister at somepoin reguardless where the intake tube is poistioned in the tank right?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The ideal position for an intake valve would be directly in the center of the tank. Since that isn't going to happen, the intakes have been positioned via design to sit a few inches away from the side glass. As I said before, I don't have the specific data but it would make sense that you wouldn't want it in the corner. Your water column/current would be very low in that area and the debris that you want to filter out may not make it with that low current.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes jchillen it does make sense, i apreciate it, i actually could put it in the middle. I could just space out the bubble walls different, i still think it will look cool, what do you think?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

If you can manage that then you've hit a home run!

Tags
fluval, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com