Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

fluval 404 question on new tank

I got a couple questions about setting up the fluval 404. Well mine came in, i followed the directions perfectly and got it all setup. Well i let it run last night and when i woke up this morning my father said it was making an awfully bad banging noise at like 630am and it wasn't spitting out any water so he shut it off. (Good move before it burnt out )

So my first question is why would it all of a sudden stop spitting out water when the canister is full, i know it has a ball or something loose at the bottom of the intake that sucks up water is that surposed to be there?

Also i have read in the book where the water spits back out into the tank that spout is surposed to be above water, but i seen in some pics that it is sunk below water, whats the deal with that above or below? mine was half and half, but it makes alot of noise when water is coming out of it if its above..

My finial question is everyone raved how you couldn't tell if the thing was on or off meaning the cainster pumping water cause its sooo quite, but mine was making kinda like a grind noise or like a griggling sound every couple of mins as the water is flowing out, is that normal?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a fluval 304 that I use on my saltwater tank and the only think I can think of is that there is air trapped in the hoses, you need to keep pumping it manually until is all out. Or you could make sure is all set up correctly, they can be kind of tricky ar first. The water spout in the tank is supposed to be under water, the deeper the better. Mine has really been good and I had it for over a year now. They pretty quiet too I believe. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

well the book said the spout needs to be above water at first when starting it is that right?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always had mine underwater, maybe the book wants you to have it on top so it's easier for the air trapped in the hose to get out. Unfortunately I don't have my book anymore so I can't remember what it said...
Maybe you should take it apart again, put it together according to book and see how it goes. If there are problems contact their customer service. Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i did put it togather exactly how the book said, im also wondering because i have an air wall running from one side of my tak to the other and the intake stem is above apart of it i wonder if that made it stop also.....
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That could be it, I'm not sure though... if it still not working I would definetly call their customer service, those people could offer you other suggestions, usually they ask you questions about your set up and take it from there, especially if you bought the best of the fluvals.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

ya i will give them a shout, but im at work right now so im just trying to get some more ideas of anyone else has had complications you know... I appreciate your time tho and if all else fails there my last resort....
Old 05-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I just answered your PM Franco.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Franco7 – I have a 404 too and using on my planted 72 gal tank.
I cannot tell ii it working unless I put my ear next to it.

As per you problem, my take is.. that because you the air wand under the filter intake, air bubbles get sucked in with the water. This causes all the noise.
I would move the intake where no air bubbles get suck into the intake and then the 404 will be wispier quite.

Keep us posted on ur progress..
Old 05-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

wel i think the impeller is in right cause it was working at first, also i figured it out. It's because i have air walls, and the intake shaft is sitting right above the air walls, so the canister was sucking in to much air from the air walls. As sooon as i shut them off the canister is as quite as can be and my tank is already cleared up a hell of alot, so now i just have to figure out how i can use my air walls and use the intake so it doesn't suck up air. I can either try sliding it more over into the corner where i have no air wall, theres about an inch on the end, or what if i cut the tubing up do you think it won't suck so much air in?

kamla your exactly right, figured that out last night

Tags
fluval, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com