Fluval 404 Sucks (air!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddias67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
' anybody else have a problem with this model filter sucking air. Mine has done so from day one and spits out a burst of micro bubbles every few minutes. I tried lubricating the o ring with vasoline and this has reduced but not eliminated the problem. -- any thoughts?
thanks - jd

Fine for me

I have been using a Fluval 404 for over a year now and I love the thing! I have very little trouble with noise, erratic operation or micro-bubbles. My main complaint is that it is a pain in the behind to prime sometimes and if you get water in the filter then you can have trouble with bubbles. Here is how I prime it:

1. After cleaning I reasseble it and fill the canister with water.
2. I put the top on and then fill with more water through the intake valves.
3. Place under the aquarium and clamp the in/out lines in place, while CLOSED!
4. I can never get the thing to prime using the priming pump so I the take the intake hose and a pitcher of water and manually fill the intake. I then quickly dunk the end of the intake back into the tank to avoid losing the water and the siphon.
5. Open the valves, if the siphon didnt take I try again.

I usually do not have any trouble with bubbles beyond a few minutes of spurting sometimes. I sit here nad watch it smoothly move my water around in my 55. I am thinking of getting another for another tank of mine.

I have been using the Fluval 404 canister for about 2 years now and I love mine also.
It holds tons of media and it is a breeze to clean.
I have never had a problem priming mine.
I just hook it back up after cleaning and pump the little prime handel a few times and away it goes.
No problems with air bubbles either.
It's also a very quiet filter.

I have been using the Fluval 404 canister for about 2 years now and I love mine also.
It holds tons of media and it is a breeze to clean.
I have never had a problem priming mine.
I just hook it back up after cleaning and pump the little prime handel a few times and away it goes.
No problems with air bubbles either.
It's also a very quiet filter.

I agree, mine works great, another friend at work has a smaller Fluval and it works great also. Neither of us has trouble with air bubbles and it is probably the quietest filter I own. The only reason I have trouble with priming is that the intake strainer has a small ball that goes up and down when you prime the canister. My intake strainer broke off and the ball has been lost, I easily put the strainer back on, but have no idea where the ball is! to I plan to buy another Fluval 404 in the very near future.

I actualy have a 204 and have the same trouble with the air bubbles. Not sure of the cause but would love to hear how to fix it. I would not go as far as to say it sucks though, but the bubbles get on my last one. It doesn't happen all the time but it has latley. Any good suggestioins?

I just set up two 404's. First one I followed the directions (i think). Was difficult to get primed, and had much air in it. I had to tip it sideways and this way and that way to get enough air out of it so that it had steady good output. It contimued to periodically hiccup a few bubles every half to one hour for about 2 days.

The second one I filled with water first, closed, hooked up, and then used the primer. It was running great in minutes, and only hiccupped bubles for a few minutes. I encountered air only after the initial set up. Is this a chronic thing?

Tom

I am also a 404 user (and a 303 for that matter)..i love them
Both are very quiet and efficent and easy to work with.

I have had my 404 for a year and no problems. After cleaning I just use the primer a few times and it starts up no problem. If it does have air it clears itself in a few seconds.

If you have an airstone in your tank you may want to check and make sure the bubbles are not going into the intake of the 404.

I agree with everyone i had mine for about 3 weeks and love it... im actually trying to get my intake in the middle of my take so it can do alot of cleaning. Where does everyone have there intake for the fluval, someone told me as close to the middle as possiable, but my problem is i have air walls in my take and those are causing me alot of problems with air aswell. IM trying to get my intake close to the middle so it does a good job and i can spilt up my air walls so it still looks good. Any sugestions for me out there?

jddias67 are you also using air walls that could be your problem....

i also forgot, as anyone used anything to expand there hose that came with the fluval im going to my local hardware store now, to see what i can come up with, but if anyone has extend there hose to bring the intake to the middle let me know what you used incase my idea doens't work?

Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom