Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where can I get that stuff (other than buying a pillow and gutting it like a trophy buck)? Bed, Bath Beyond?

Gnarls Gnarlington said:
Where can I get that stuff (other than buying a pillow and gutting it like a trophy buck)? Bed, Bath Beyond?

Any craft or fabric store should have it. I use the Fairfield brand, so no additives like fire retardant, mildew reducers, etc.

I got mine at Michaels arts and crafts, but I imagine any craft store has them.
As well as walmart and I would have to imagine K-mart, Target etc. Just make sure it says 100% Polyester-Fill, no fire retardants, perfumes ect.

My brand is Fairfield 100% Poly-fill in a blue packaging. Bought a 20oz bag for like $6 - $7 and will last me months! ... easily!(y)

One of the best advice I've ever taken from AA.

Great! I'll order that stuff and head off to Michael's tomorrow. I'll probably be the only guy there too. Sigh.

Ordered it. How long with 4 liters of that Matrix Bio Media last me?!

Fill it to the top of the trays?

Great! I'll order that stuff and head off to Michael's tomorrow. I'll probably be the only guy there too. Sigh.

I know how you'll feel. I remember a year ago I was there w/ the wife and kids thinking .... I wouldn't be caught dead in that store on my own:nono: There I am a year later in the pillow / fabric area:eek: Then standing in line with a bunch of mothers w/ kids holding a 20oz bag of poly-fill:facepalm: .... thank god none of my students saw that:D

Have fun (y)

Gnarls Gnarlington said:
Ordered it. How long with 4 liters of that Matrix Bio Media last me?!

Fill it to the top of the trays?

It'll last you a good long time, since you just rinse it in old tank water and put it back in. Use it till it crumbles is the rule of thumb on filter media (not including poly-fil :D).

I only fill my trays 2/3 to 3/4 so there's room for flow during operation, but others might have a better POV.

I fill the trays with as much biomedia as will fit, there will still be flow.

You should never need to replace biomedia. I have some that is ten years old and could still be used.

Okay! My Matrix arrived this morning!

I am doing a fishless tank cycle and I am on day 6.

Should I wait until the tank is cycled before I screw with anything or change out the media now? I can always place the BioMax in the tank in case it was growing bacteria already.

Yep, they got it right. Poly-fill in the bottom tray is the main point so it catches gunk the sponges can't and keep it from clogging the biomedia. Best part is you can toss/replace poly-fil each time you service the filter and not watch $10 go in the trash can.

I've been reading elsewhere to put floss in the top tray not the bottom tray (it doesn't make any sense to me either). :cool:

How often do you change the poly-fill? Weekly? Monthly?

I just changed mine after 2 weeks and believe me ... it was dirty enough! LOL
One thing to consider is that BB will start to grow on the poly-fill as well so by changing them every two weeks, you avoid having too much BB grow on them and lessen the chances of a mini-cycle .. as remote as those chances are anyway.

I have it on the bottom tray so it captures the microstuff that gets by the filter pads which would gunk up my biomax rings. Leave the upper trays for biological media.

I've been reading elsewhere to put floss in the top tray not the bottom tray (it doesn't make any sense to me either). :cool:

How often do you change the poly-fill? Weekly? Monthly?

I put it in the bottom, so it catches junk before it can get to the biomedia. That makes more sense to me, but I do have poly-fil in the last tray section nearest the output to get the last little bit of detritus and it's generally 50-75% cleaner that the bottom tray of poly-fil.

The nice thing about the fluval design is you can swap trays at will to test different options in the flow pattern. I clean my 305 once every 2 weeks and change the poly-fil then, even if it isn't completely covered in gunk.

Agreed for floss to go in bottom tray to prevent debris from clogging the biomedia.

Back
Top Bottom