Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fluval 405 for 90 gal

I am thinking about getting rid of myUGF and tetra pf500 filter for a canister fluval405. In my opinion the tetra makes to much noise as it cycles. I have i oscar 2 irr sharks i karge pleco and red devil in the tank. Would the 405 be enough filteration alone or would my tetra and 405 without the ugf be to much. which rout should i take for a more quiet clear cleaner tank? Thank for any help

iroc_254u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

That sounds like a pretty heavy load (at least if they are all full grown it would be) I would keep the tetra and add the 405.

I am using the fluval 405 on my 90 gallon and it is great but it is a planted tank with a low bioload and weekly water changes.

I agree that the ugf can be quite noisy. And using a canister will be a big difference in the noise level but I would place the return from the new fluval in such a way that it still disturbs the surface so you get adequate oxygen exchange.

If you keep the existing tetra filter you might be able to add the new filter without much of a mini cycle.

Hope that helps.

happygirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the info. I knw it is a heavy load but the oscar is going to be going that should help lighten the load a little. Thanks. What if i went with the fluval FX5 would i be able to run just that without the tetra?
iroc_254u is offline   Reply With Quote

fluval, fluval 405, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com