Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval 405 media?

I have a Fluval 405 and was wondering what media anyone else uses. I use carbon in the first two chambers and the little biomax cylinders in the last two. Should I be using something else as well or will this suffice?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
You could probably get away with carbon on the bottom chamber (some members do carbonless filtration), but I agree with Biomax on the top two... never have too much room for bacteria IMO.

The Question is what to do with an empty bottom chamber ... Fluvals do give many options. If your fish prefer a lower pH .. peat moss is an option.

I have a 404 and currently just have carbon on the bottom and one Biomax (set it up before I joined AA) on the top ... Since I just added some more fish that prefer slightly acidic soft water I'm looking to add more Biomax and maybe some peat moss.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put the biomax on the last basket before it comes back to the aquarium. Pre-filter on the first. Why do you need to use carbon? People usually just use carbon to absorb excess meds and absorb tannins. Do you have plants? I'd rather have 2 baskets full of biomax for more surface for the BB to grow.

Edit: I have a fluval fx5 and that's what I have in it.

You need the pre-filter on the first part of the filter to catch debris and fish waste so that it won't reach the biomax.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

I cram the bottom tray full of polyester pillow stuffing from the crafts section in Wal-Mart. This serves as a great fine mechanical/polishing media.

The rest of the trays I fill with biomedia. I recommend Seachem Matrix, it has more bioavailable surface area than Biomax or Eheim's biomedia.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
I cram the bottom tray full of polyester pillow stuffing from the crafts section in Wal-Mart. This serves as a great fine mechanical/polishing media.

The rest of the trays I fill with biomedia. I recommend Seachem Matrix, it has more bioavailable surface area than Biomax or Eheim's biomedia.
+1 on the Poly-fil, it works great as a fine filter media and a huge bag costs the same a 3 polishing pads from Fluval lol.

I have my 305 setup with bottom trays stuffed with ploy-fil, middle trays filled with Eheim Substrate Pro and top tray split with ESPro and final chamber (below output) filled with poly-fil as a final polish.

FYI: IMO/E/research, more (excess) biomedia does not equate to more bacteria. A tank will only support as much bacteria as the system can feed, no more/no less.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
FYI: IMO/E/research, more (excess) biomedia does not equate to more bacteria. A tank will only support as much bacteria as the system can feed, no more/no less.
Agreed. You will only have as much bacteria depending on the fish waste. They will keep multiplying until they just have enough waste(food) to support the colony. So is it going to depend on your tanks bio-load how much biomax or whatever product for bacterial growth you'll put in the canister?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
I would put the biomax on the last basket before it comes back to the aquarium. Pre-filter on the first. Why do you need to use carbon? People usually just use carbon to absorb excess meds and absorb tannins. Do you have plants? I'd rather have 2 baskets full of biomax for more surface for the BB to grow.

Edit: I have a fluval fx5 and that's what I have in it.

You need the pre-filter on the first part of the filter to catch debris and fish waste so that it won't reach the biomax.
I don't have any plants. I have two the last two before coming back to aquarium filled with biomax, the two before that have carbon in them. I only have the carbon because that's what came with it so I never looked into changing it. So I don't really need the carbon at all?

Is the pre-filter the poly fill that the other guy was talking about? To catch the finer materials that the big foam looking blocks don't catch?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhite16

I don't have any plants. I have two the last two before coming back to aquarium filled with biomax, the two before that have carbon in them. I only have the carbon because that's what came with it so I never looked into changing it. So I don't really need the carbon at all?

Is the pre-filter the poly fill that the other guy was talking about? To catch the finer materials that the big foam looking blocks don't catch?
You usually just use carbon when you want to rid of meds, absorb tannins from DW, sometimes to help with cloudy water. I'm not sure of any other purpose of carbon. Carbon usually just last for a month and will stop absorbing and leech out what they had absorb. I'm not sure about the last part. I'm not sure about the polyfil if it's the same as prefilter. I think it's a filter pad. It's probably like fluval's polish pad that strain smaller waste and makes the water clear. You can put polish pad after the biomax right before it comes back in the tank. If it was my filter, I'd put pre-filter in the first basket to strain the bigger debris. How many baskets in your filter?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 305 has:
bottom layer: 2cm of course sponge the rest with bio rings,
middle : bio rings
top: bio rings

No water problems here.
I use fluval's biomax. Took three boxes to fill it...

And at the above poster: Materials sequestered by carbon are practically there forever. It takes furnace temperatures of several hundred to several thousand degrees to cause carbon to release what it's holding on to. It will never leech things back into the water unless you had an aquarium of lava or something.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe

And at the above poster: Materials sequestered by carbon are practically there forever. It takes furnace temperatures of several hundred to several thousand degrees to cause carbon to release what it's holding on to. It will never leech things back into the water unless you had an aquarium of lava or something.
Basically, the carbon will just stop absorbing. Thanks for clearing that out. That's why I said I wasn't sure about that part. Ty.

Tags
fluval, fluval 405, media, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com