Fluval 405 media suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm buying a 405 on Friday, I'm gonna replace the media. Any suggestions you might have for media customization for a 60 gallon planted community?

100% Poly-fill available at any arts craft store, walmart, target ect. Much less expensive than the same thing sold at LFS. Add it to the bottom 2 trays ... Ceramic media ... bio-max it comes with or something similar. It's how my Fluval 404 was set up.

jcolon said:
100% Poly-fill available at any arts craft store, walmart, target ect. Much less expensive than the same thing sold at LFS. Add it to the bottom 2 trays ... Ceramic media ... bio-max it comes with or something similar. It's how my Fluval 404 was set up.

Poly fill? Not really sure what that is.

jcolon said:
Aka pillow stuffing ... I purchase Fairfield brand .. A bag can last you a year!

Ah I see. Wait so how do you incorporate pillow stuffing? Ive never used a canister filter before.

A fluval 405 comes with 4 media trays/baskets each basket with 2 chambers, just stuff the polyfill in the bottom two chambers, you'll be shocked at the amount of dirt it'll collect. Really does a great job polishing water.

jcolon said:
A fluval 405 comes with 4 media trays/baskets each basket with 2 chambers, just stuff the polyfill in the bottom two chambers, you'll be shocked at the amount of dirt it'll collect. Really does a great job polishing water.

Thanks man! I appreciate it. How do you like your fluval 405 by the way? Anything I should no about it?

Thanks man! I appreciate it. How do you like your fluval 405 by the way? Anything I should no about it?

Ha..ha .. :lol:. I had a fluval 404 that died so now I run an AC-70. The 404 was a hand me own from my wife's brother and it did a great job for me the two years I had it running. I have no problem recommending them, I think they're quality canister filters.

I'm certain a 305 will do the job for your tank as well .. But if $$$$ is not an issue between the two, go with the 405.

It's not im getting the 405 for 70 off Craigslist the guy is trying to get rid of his fish stuff because he's moving.

Back
Top Bottom