Fluval 406 big enough for a 75 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a general answer I'd say yes, that's plenty, but it also depends on what you plan on putting in said 75 gallon.....

A few angels, gouramis, loaches, and cherry barbs. Or something like that. Plants too. I've never used a canister before. Also, are in-line heaters any good?
Thanks!

Never worked with in-line heaters, but a 406 will be plenty for what you have mentioned. I think the best rule of thumb is to reduce the advertised capacity by about 20%-25%, which puts you bang on at 75g. Your water flow will be great when all the media is fresh, but as it collects material in between cleanings, the flow will be reduced as well.

Fluvals are good filters for the price. Have a 405 for my 50g acrylic and it's more than enough. The best thing about them are the media baskets IMO.

I have a slightly overstocked 60g hex and I run 2 fluval canister filters a 305 and a 406 ... its wonderful.. as long as you stay stocked or understocked a 406 will be fine :) I think a spay bar would be good for your tank. I would suggest positioning it on 1 side and the intake on the opposite side in the back corner to create a flow circle

also your gouramis will like the calm waters on the side opposite the spray bar

Have you found anything out about using an inline with a 406? I'm just starting to dig into this..

I'm replacing my Magnum 350 (5/8") that I had an Hydor 300w inline running with. I know the 406 is 3/4" but it is the ribbed tubing. I don't see how it will work with an inline heater's clamps.

Well I've used mine for almost a month on my Magnum 350. Kept the temps nice and stable. I'm not worried about the reliability of it so much as hooking up with the Fluval 406.

Thanks for getting back to me though!

Oops! That's what I get for answering before my morning coffee. I'm not sure how it would work. Wonder why they have ribbed tubing on it. Any way you could connect smooth tubing to ribbed with a tube and some clamps?

That's probably what I'm going to have to do and use some 5/8" to 3/4" reducers to get the tubing hooked up to the heater.

Back
Top Bottom