Fluval 406 comparing the eheim 2217 and 2215.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ehiem that I had was loud and I hated when I needed to clean it it was just one big chunk of nasty filter media. Also the aqua stop valve on the fluval makes cleaning much easier than with the ehiem. That's why, I'm not just " jumping on the bandwagon." Also the whole biological filtration thing I think is a racket because most f your BBA in an established tank is in the substrate, sure some is in the filter but far more is in the substrate just because a filter is slightly larger dosent make it far superior. Just my opinion.

The ehiem that I had was loud and I hated when I needed to clean it it was just one big chunk of nasty filter media. Also the aqua stop valve on the fluval makes cleaning much easier than with the ehiem. That's why, I'm not just " jumping on the bandwagon." Also the whole biological filtration thing I think is a racket because most f your BBA in an established tank is in the substrate, sure some is in the filter but far more is in the substrate just because a filter is slightly larger dosent make it far superior. Just my opinion.

Both are good filters. Far more is in the substrate? Its the other way around.

After speaking to mars fishcare tech support they suggested to send my rena xp unit for replacement . so I will, but the replacement will be the flu306 . found one for really nice price

I know this is an old thread, but I too am now debating between Eheim 2217 and the Fluval; I believe the 306 will be enough for a 55 freshwater community tank. By now, I imagine you have been using your new 306. Please update us, or pm me, as to how it is working out. I read one horror story on Amazon about one leaking once the power went out. That is a fairly common occurrence here in FL, so that could be a concern, though I suspect there was some operator error involved.

The power went out in my place due to an apartment fire. I had the fluval 106 on this particular tank. No power for about a few days. No leaks to report on my part. I do have a 306 as well (1 year+), but at a different house. I always shut it off during weekly maintenance and PWC's... No leaks either. I just make sure nothing is caught (i.e. debris) that would affect a proper seal around the rubber gasket.

Well i have a fluval 406 and 2 eheims, the 2217 and 2213. I was in the same position as you and spent along time researching between the two. Simple answer is the theyre both good and you cant go wrong with either both have been known to have the odd faults, fluval tending to have more but havent had a hickup with either. If i was forced to choose i would buy another 2217.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
The power went out in my place due to an apartment fire. I had the fluval 106 on this particular tank. No power for about a few days. No leaks to report on my part. I do have a 306 as well (1 year+), but at a different house. I always shut it off during weekly maintenance and PWC's... No leaks either. I just make sure nothing is caught (i.e. debris) that would affect a proper seal around the rubber gasket.

In your experienced opinion, would a 306 work well as a solo filter for an unplanted 55 community tank? The 406 is out of my budget, for the moment anyway.

Well i have a fluval 406 and 2 eheims, the 2217 and 2213. I was in the same position as you and spent along time researching between the two. Simple answer is the theyre both good and you cant go wrong with either both have been known to have the odd faults, fluval tending to have more but havent had a hickup with either. If i was forced to choose i would buy another 2217.

I'm leaning toward the 2217. I was interested in the eheim ecco 2236, rated for 80 gallons, but have heard the handle is fragile and the flow rate disappointing. I prefer the idea of media baskets but the lack of them is not a deal-breaker. Thanks for your help and comments.

In your experienced opinion, would a 306 work well as a solo filter for an unplanted 55 community tank? The 406 is out of my budget, for the moment anyway.

Although the 406 would be better for the size tank, a 306 is doable. It is rated for up to 70g tanks, after all. You'll just need to clean it more often than not, frequency would depend on how much you stock your tank.

I've had the Fluval 206 on my 29g for one year now. Not a single leak or problem of any kind. Same for my Fluval heaters and Aquaclear HOB's. That being said the Eheims I bet are great too. I guess it's like if you prefer Ford or Chevy, etc. OS.

You can get 30% off a 406 at Petsmart online with free shipping, with price being $239 before discount. Discounted price is pretty close to a 306 at most online shops. I can't say enough good things about my 406.

I will definitely jump on this. I did see the product referred to as 405/406, so I hope they're not just clearing out the old ones. Worth a shot either way IMO. Thanks!

I've been researching the 406 and 2217 for weeks. Every time I "know" which one I want, I find something that makes me change my mind.

Which filter is easier to do water changes? Which one is quieter?

I'm setting up my first planted tank, 75 gallons, and can't decide between filters. Now I'm thinking I would do better with 2 smaller filters for redundancy but don't know if 2 smaller filters would use more power.

2 smaller filters will use more power, no doubt, but u will have much better circulation with more media

I'm so happy I found this board!

I just talked with PetsMart and they are sending notification to the warehouse to see if they are shipping 305 or 306 filters. If you don't get the one you want, you can bring it back to the local store for a refund.

I can get 2 of the 306 for the same price other places want for 1 of the 406 filters.

Yes, I know it will use more power with 2 but I can't imagine it would be that much more. I'm going to do more research on this.

Thanks!

Both are silent, the 406 is easier to clean and access in comparison to the 2217. The eheim isnt hard by any means but will take afew extra minutes but because your cleaning the filter every couple of months afew minutes isnt a deal breaker.

2 small filters would help distribute the flow and allow alternate cleanings. The eheim filter ratings; 2213 -116gph at 8W. 2215 - 164gph at 15w. 2217 - 264gph at 20w. I would rather buy a 2217 than 2 2213s and it would cost alittle more too.

Last edited:
I've read before that you don't need to clean the Eheim as often as Fluval. I raise show koi and the main objective is to clean the filters and keep the trash out of the water column. We use sieves for this.

How is the Eheim going to keep the trash out of the water? The longer you wait to clean it, the longer the trash is in the water column.

The Petsmart 30% deal runs to Feb. 3. I was in the store here in FL and saw the boxes of the discounted 306s--they looked as if they had been opened, but were in fact intact 306s. $168.99 seems like a no-brainer for a 406. I don't think the 406 is too much filter for a 55, though I probably could get away with a 306.

If you could find a 406 for not much more than a 306, I would definitely go that routeon a 55 gallon. One idea could be to get the 306 and then put an HOB (ie. AC50) on the back. I like this because I can rotate filter cleaning and my biological activity never skips a beat and I have a backup in case something fails. Good luck, OS.

I'm so happy I found this board!

I just talked with PetsMart and they are sending notification to the warehouse to see if they are shipping 305 or 306 filters. If you don't get the one you want, you can bring it back to the local store for a refund.

I can get 2 of the 306 for the same price other places want for 1 of the 406 filters.

Yes, I know it will use more power with 2 but I can't imagine it would be that much more. I'm going to do more research on this.

Thanks!

I called Petsmart and someone named Brenda said she believed it was the 405s that were being shipped (she cited the info in the product description as being for the 405). She said she would email the warehouse for confirmation and they are supposed to get back to me in between 1-3 days with a definite answer. I will update when I hear.

Back
Top Bottom