Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,772
The ehiem that I had was loud and I hated when I needed to clean it it was just one big chunk of nasty filter media. Also the aqua stop valve on the fluval makes cleaning much easier than with the ehiem. That's why, I'm not just " jumping on the bandwagon." Also the whole biological filtration thing I think is a racket because most f your BBA in an established tank is in the substrate, sure some is in the filter but far more is in the substrate just because a filter is slightly larger dosent make it far superior. Just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
molliwopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Uk, England.
Posts: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
The ehiem that I had was loud and I hated when I needed to clean it it was just one big chunk of nasty filter media. Also the aqua stop valve on the fluval makes cleaning much easier than with the ehiem. That's why, I'm not just " jumping on the bandwagon." Also the whole biological filtration thing I think is a racket because most f your BBA in an established tank is in the substrate, sure some is in the filter but far more is in the substrate just because a filter is slightly larger dosent make it far superior. Just my opinion.
Both are good filters. Far more is in the substrate? Its the other way around.
__________________

__________________
Fish die belly upward and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
agrasyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 211
After speaking to mars fishcare tech support they suggested to send my rena xp unit for replacement . so I will, but the replacement will be the flu306 . found one for really nice price
__________________
Anton.

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Proteus55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 48
I know this is an old thread, but I too am now debating between Eheim 2217 and the Fluval; I believe the 306 will be enough for a 55 freshwater community tank. By now, I imagine you have been using your new 306. Please update us, or pm me, as to how it is working out. I read one horror story on Amazon about one leaking once the power went out. That is a fairly common occurrence here in FL, so that could be a concern, though I suspect there was some operator error involved.
__________________
Proteus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Brian_Nano12g's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,146
The power went out in my place due to an apartment fire. I had the fluval 106 on this particular tank. No power for about a few days. No leaks to report on my part. I do have a 306 as well (1 year+), but at a different house. I always shut it off during weekly maintenance and PWC's... No leaks either. I just make sure nothing is caught (i.e. debris) that would affect a proper seal around the rubber gasket.
__________________
- [ADA 60P] - [ADA 60F] - [GLA 6g] - [26g] - [2.1g Cube]
Brian_Nano12g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
molliwopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Uk, England.
Posts: 2,110
Well i have a fluval 406 and 2 eheims, the 2217 and 2213. I was in the same position as you and spent along time researching between the two. Simple answer is the theyre both good and you cant go wrong with either both have been known to have the odd faults, fluval tending to have more but havent had a hickup with either. If i was forced to choose i would buy another 2217.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Fish die belly upward and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.


[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Proteus55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
The power went out in my place due to an apartment fire. I had the fluval 106 on this particular tank. No power for about a few days. No leaks to report on my part. I do have a 306 as well (1 year+), but at a different house. I always shut it off during weekly maintenance and PWC's... No leaks either. I just make sure nothing is caught (i.e. debris) that would affect a proper seal around the rubber gasket.
In your experienced opinion, would a 306 work well as a solo filter for an unplanted 55 community tank? The 406 is out of my budget, for the moment anyway.
__________________
Proteus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Proteus55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
Well i have a fluval 406 and 2 eheims, the 2217 and 2213. I was in the same position as you and spent along time researching between the two. Simple answer is the theyre both good and you cant go wrong with either both have been known to have the odd faults, fluval tending to have more but havent had a hickup with either. If i was forced to choose i would buy another 2217.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'm leaning toward the 2217. I was interested in the eheim ecco 2236, rated for 80 gallons, but have heard the handle is fragile and the flow rate disappointing. I prefer the idea of media baskets but the lack of them is not a deal-breaker. Thanks for your help and comments.
__________________
Proteus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Brian_Nano12g's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus55 View Post
In your experienced opinion, would a 306 work well as a solo filter for an unplanted 55 community tank? The 406 is out of my budget, for the moment anyway.
Although the 406 would be better for the size tank, a 306 is doable. It is rated for up to 70g tanks, after all. You'll just need to clean it more often than not, frequency would depend on how much you stock your tank.
__________________
- [ADA 60P] - [ADA 60F] - [GLA 6g] - [26g] - [2.1g Cube]
Brian_Nano12g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Adipose Fins Are Cool!
 
Old Scales's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 2,752
I've had the Fluval 206 on my 29g for one year now. Not a single leak or problem of any kind. Same for my Fluval heaters and Aquaclear HOB's. That being said the Eheims I bet are great too. I guess it's like if you prefer Ford or Chevy, etc. OS.
__________________

__________________
Bonified member of "The Wet Arm Society".
One's life should be measured by the number of people who smile when they remember you.
Old Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.