Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can get 30% off a 406 at Petsmart online with free shipping, with price being $239 before discount. Discounted price is pretty close to a 306 at most online shops. I can't say enough good things about my 406.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will definitely jump on this. I did see the product referred to as 405/406, so I hope they're not just clearing out the old ones. Worth a shot either way IMO. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been researching the 406 and 2217 for weeks. Every time I "know" which one I want, I find something that makes me change my mind.

Which filter is easier to do water changes? Which one is quieter?

I'm setting up my first planted tank, 75 gallons, and can't decide between filters. Now I'm thinking I would do better with 2 smaller filters for redundancy but don't know if 2 smaller filters would use more power.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 smaller filters will use more power, no doubt, but u will have much better circulation with more media
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm so happy I found this board!

I just talked with PetsMart and they are sending notification to the warehouse to see if they are shipping 305 or 306 filters. If you don't get the one you want, you can bring it back to the local store for a refund.

I can get 2 of the 306 for the same price other places want for 1 of the 406 filters.

Yes, I know it will use more power with 2 but I can't imagine it would be that much more. I'm going to do more research on this.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both are silent, the 406 is easier to clean and access in comparison to the 2217. The eheim isnt hard by any means but will take afew extra minutes but because your cleaning the filter every couple of months afew minutes isnt a deal breaker.

2 small filters would help distribute the flow and allow alternate cleanings. The eheim filter ratings; 2213 -116gph at 8W. 2215 - 164gph at 15w. 2217 - 264gph at 20w. I would rather buy a 2217 than 2 2213s and it would cost alittle more too.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've read before that you don't need to clean the Eheim as often as Fluval. I raise show koi and the main objective is to clean the filters and keep the trash out of the water column. We use sieves for this.

How is the Eheim going to keep the trash out of the water? The longer you wait to clean it, the longer the trash is in the water column.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #38

The Petsmart 30% deal runs to Feb. 3. I was in the store here in FL and saw the boxes of the discounted 306s--they looked as if they had been opened, but were in fact intact 306s. $168.99 seems like a no-brainer for a 406. I don't think the 406 is too much filter for a 55, though I probably could get away with a 306.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #39
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

If you could find a 406 for not much more than a 306, I would definitely go that routeon a 55 gallon. One idea could be to get the 306 and then put an HOB (ie. AC50) on the back. I like this because I can rotate filter cleaning and my biological activity never skips a beat and I have a backup in case something fails. Good luck, OS.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntry View Post
I'm so happy I found this board!

I just talked with PetsMart and they are sending notification to the warehouse to see if they are shipping 305 or 306 filters. If you don't get the one you want, you can bring it back to the local store for a refund.

I can get 2 of the 306 for the same price other places want for 1 of the 406 filters.

Yes, I know it will use more power with 2 but I can't imagine it would be that much more. I'm going to do more research on this.

Thanks!
I called Petsmart and someone named Brenda said she believed it was the 405s that were being shipped (she cited the info in the product description as being for the 405). She said she would email the warehouse for confirmation and they are supposed to get back to me in between 1-3 days with a definite answer. I will update when I hear.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com