Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a fluval 406 today. It looks nice and i really like the prefilter, but im less impressed with the bundled media. Running this filter without buying extra media would be useless. Also the media space in the filter is also small in comparison to the 2217 or even the 2215!!!

Biologically, it even looks to me that the eheim 2215 will fit more media in it! And that pumps half the water of a 406.

Dont be taken in by all the 'extras' the 406 has like the self priming because its not enough to make it the better filter. Mechanically i can see that the fluval will be quite good at this.

Another negative is its operation is too complicated. Something is bound to go wrong with one of the many seals the filter has. The 406 has been made to look like the badgers nadgers but im just not convinced

If it isnt broke, dont fix it.
Id buy the eheim 2217 everytime.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
I got a fluval 406 today. It looks nice and i really like the prefilter, but im less impressed with the bundled media. Running this filter without buying extra media would be useless. Also the media space in the filter is also small in comparison to the 2217 or even the 2215!!!

Biologically, it even looks to me that the eheim 2215 will fit more media in it! And that pumps half the water of a 406.

Dont be taken in by all the 'extras' the 406 has like the self priming because its not enough to make it the better filter. Mechanically i can see that the fluval will be quite good at this.

Another negative is its operation is too complicated. Something is bound to go wrong with one of the so many seals the filter has. The 406 has been made to look like the badgers nadgers but im just not convinced

If it isnt broke, dont fix it.
Id buy the eheim 2217 everytime.
Thanks I was looking at the two
Models.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good. Ive always wanted a 406 to be able to compare these 2 for myself.

Cant really go wrong with either (maybe, i havent used the 406 yet but ive heard they have their problems)
I opened the fluval 406 with an open mind without expectations. Ill only buy eheim classics from now.

Just my unbiased 2 cence.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Good. Ive always wanted a 406 to be able to compare these 2 for myself.

Cant really go wrong with either (maybe, i havent used the 406 yet but ive heard they have their problems)
I opened the fluval 406 with an open mind without expectations. Ill only buy eheim classics from now.

Just my unbiased 2 cence.
What did you pay for your ehim 2217?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well i blindly bid £100 maximum on ebay which is about $150 for the a new one. Didnt expect to win so was supprised. Its £130 new and so is the 2217 here in the uk.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Well i blindly bid £100 maximum on ebay which is about $150 for the a new one. Didnt expect to win so was supprised. Its £130 new and so is the 2217 here in the uk.
Oh ok. I found one for 142 here on a website. The local fish store sells it for over 300 dollars here so it's a big difference.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can't say that I ever owned a Fluval so really can't say anything about them. I can say that I am running two 2215's on my 90 gallon and could not be happier. Crystal clear water and they run dead silent.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, you really cant be the eheim classics for price vs quality.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm the total opposite...I really dislike the antiquated design of those classic eheim cans. I own two '06 fluval cans and I absolutely love them. Innovative modular design, easy to clean, easy to prime, and quiet. There's a reason it has a user review rating of 4.5 stars out of 300+ reviews on Amazon, the filter is great! Just my 2 cents before others think it's a terrible filter or something. But to each their own. Not everyone is going to like what everyone else does, for what ever reason..
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
I'm the total opposite...I really dislike the antiquated design of those classic eheim cans. I own two '06 fluval cans and I absolutely love them. Innovative modular design, easy to clean, easy to prime, and quiet. There's a reason it has a user review rating of 4.5 stars out of 300+ reviews on Amazon, the filter is great! Just my 2 cents before others think it's a terrible filter or something. But to each their own. Not everyone is going to like what everyone else does, for what ever reason..
I agree with this. I've had a 306 and now a 406 as well and have not had any problems with anything, including leakage. If you're careful with closing the lid each time you won't have a problem. Just make sure to keep the o-ring lubed now and then so it doesn't crack.

The quick release valve and the flow control though is awesome in my opinion. Just wish they'd sell it with a modular spray bar for people who don't like the duckbill.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com