Fluval 406 noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dswiese

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally removed the AC70 and just running the tank with the 406 now.

However, and this may be my expectations, I was expecting it to be just a bit quieter than it is. There isn't any bubble sound or air noise but def a noise (ticking) of the pump. It's soo much quieter than the HOB that I am concerned my expectations where too high ?
I did my first look in/ clean today after running it for about 3 weeks and there was very little to clean out and no dirt or muck in the impeller. Pulled it out and checked down in the well. Nothing obvious.

Thoughts ?

Finally removed the AC70 and just running the tank with the 406 now.

However, and this may be my expectations, I was expecting it to be just a bit quieter than it is. There isn't any bubble sound or air noise but def a noise (ticking) of the pump. It's soo much quieter than the HOB that I am concerned my expectations where too high ?
I did my first look in/ clean today after running it for about 3 weeks and there was very little to clean out and no dirt or muck in the impeller. Pulled it out and checked down in the well. Nothing obvious.

Thoughts ?
It could be impeller is not fitted correctly. Remove it and flush some water into the compartment. Be careful when removing/replacing these, they can be easily broken. When you fit it all back together and it's running, GENTLY rock the filter from side to side, it could be trapped air in the motor haed. Although these filter are not completely silent, you do get used to sound in no time....

Thanks will check it again this week. Did the slow rock and def cleared out some bubbles but no change.

Thanks

Thanks will check it again this week. Did the slow rock and def cleared out some bubbles but no change.

Thanks
I don't have that exact model but i did have an issue with a canister in the past and that worked for me. Maybe someone with that filter will come in and let you know if that's the way they all are. They are considered to be a very good filter and seem to be quite popular with AA members. In saying that though, what you consider loud, others might not. Anyway, i hope you get it resolved and good luck with it.... Ian
PS... Just thinking out loud, do you have any filter floss in the very top tray???

Nope no floss. The noise was prior to t right now I am running the bio foam, ceramic rings, matrix, a couple layers of the marineland blue bonded stuff. Topped with the polishing pads that came with the filter

Nope no floss. The noise was prior to t right now I am running the bio foam, ceramic rings, matrix, a couple layers of the marineland blue bonded stuff. Topped with the polishing pads that came with the filter
Was just thinking maybe some floss was getting sucked up and constricting the impella. Obviously not.....

Yeah it's less than a month old, and bought it thru amazon so if there are any issues in a month or so I may toss the hob back on and replace the 406

Check the impeller container O ring. They loosen up and a tight seal will prevent the noise from the impeller bashing around.

Back
Top Bottom