Fluval C carbon problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a fluval C3 and I have been rinsing my carbon for about 15 minutes now and it's still running out black water ? What do I do ?

I've been massaging it to get all the dust out my hands are black

So I just got a fluval C3 and I have been rinsing my carbon for about 15 minutes now and it's still running out black water ? What do I do ?

I've been massaging it to get all the dust out my hands are black

Carbon should not make water more dirty. It should clear it up. Lol. All the carbon I have used came inside the media package thing so I don't have to rinse and all. Does the c3 have to put the carbon in a media tray or in a bag?

Carbon should not make water more dirty. It should clear it up. Lol. All the carbon I have used came inside the media package thing so I don't have to rinse and all. Does the c3 have to put the carbon in a media tray or in a bag?

It came in a fine mesh bag and I was supposed to rinse it but it just kept spitting out dust

I mean come on its just dust what the heck

Wow. That is some major dust problem then. I think the carbon is leaking some kind of color or something. Dust wouldn't be that black and wouldn't stay black for that long.
The carbon looks like tiny grained ones. That is a lot of carbon too. The amount of carbon in my marineland 150 for 20 gal is only around half a handful. That mesh bag looks stuffed to bursting! Lol

Wow. That is some major dust problem then. I think the carbon is leaking some kind of color or something. Dust wouldn't be that black and wouldn't stay black for that long.
The carbon looks like tiny grained ones. That is a lot of carbon too. The amount of carbon in my marineland 150 for 20 gal is only around half a handful. That mesh bag looks stuffed to bursting! Lol

Ya it is and the particles are smaller that's the problem. My bio wheel 150 like you said is probability 1/100 of that bag tad overkill

I'm just not using the carbon I put some foam down there instead

Ya it is and the particles are smaller that's the problem. My bio wheel 150 like you said is probability 1/100 of that bag tad overkill

I'm just not using the carbon I put some foam down there instead

Yeah. From the pic, that carbon would probably make the water in the tank pitch black over night.

Ya I'm not about this chalk dust crap ! Haha it's like I got a bag of from
The top of the batch of carbon so its just all dust haha thanks ill grab that kind

Haha. Lol. They probably replaced the real carbon with black chalk dust. Lol
I'm also pretty sure marineland uses diamond head carbon.

Was this charcoal dust problem an isolated instance ......

I was just getting ready to order one from Amazon. Now this scares me !!!!

Also, should I order the Fluval Edge "pre-filter" for the C3?

Amazon.com: Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge: Pet Supplies

Thanks in advance

Truthfully once your tank is up and running and established you don't even need carbon.

And a prefilter is only handy if you have any fish/inverts that are at risk of being sucked into the intake. I use pantyhose on my intakes.

Thanks for the advice about carbon, Purigen & alt. media

Yeah don't bother with the carbon. Use the space for a 100ml bag of Purigen or another sponge or floss...

Interesting, I've been researching this in depth for my new C3 and you are both confirming what others are saying all over the net. I already have the Seachem Purigen 100ml in Filter Bag in my "cart" at Amazon !!!!!!! I hope it fits !!

Further, it is interesting that Fluval's AquaClear 50 uses a reusable sponge whereas Fluval C3 uses a replacement poly foam cartridge. So in addition to making them more money on replacements, you can lose a lot of beneficial bacteria when the cartridge is replaced rather than washed !!! Thus putting in a piece of custom cut aqua pure filter media (or equivalent) and changing at differing intervals sure makes sense.

Interesting, I've been researching this in depth for my new C3 and you are both confirming what others are saying all over the net. I already have the Seachem Purigen 100ml in Filter Bag in my "cart" at Amazon !!!!!!! I hope it fits !!

Further, it is interesting that Fluval's AquaClear 50 uses a reusable sponge whereas Fluval C3 uses a replacement poly foam cartridge. So in addition to making them more money on replacements, you can lose a lot of beneficial bacteria when the cartridge is replaced rather than washed !!! Thus putting in a piece of custom cut aqua pure filter media (or equivalent) and changing at differing intervals sure makes sense.

Actually all filter companies try to encourage owners to replace cartridges and inserts. It is part of their sales after all.

But majority hobbyists are hip to this and know its unnecessary. Even cartridges that have built in carbon can be rinsed and reused.

Some even tell you to replace the pads every month!!. That's the beauty of the C3, most of your BB are in the bio media at the front, in the drip tray. There is of course BB on the pad at the back but replacing it is not an issue. You can make your own polyfil/sponge. A universal sponge and some thin polyfil batting. That filter is very versatile...

Thanks for another great tip

Some even tell you to replace the pads every month!!. That's the beauty of the C3, most of your BB are in the bio media at the front, in the drip tray. There is of course BB on the pad at the back but replacing it is not an issue. You can make your own polyfil/sponge. A universal sponge and some thin polyfil batting. That filter is very versatile...

If you do a Google search some youtube "expert" said ....... delete the bio media from the front in the drip tray. I knew that was wrong when I heard it. Thanks for the confirmation. I really appreciate all the great advice I am getting to this filter.

So I assume the thing to do is only wash the bio media at the top in used aquarium water ......... and maybe replace it like every few years ??????

Back
Top Bottom