Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
So I just got a fluval C3 and I have been rinsing my carbon for about 15 minutes now and it's still running out black water ? What do I do ?

I've been massaging it to get all the dust out my hands are black
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
So I just got a fluval C3 and I have been rinsing my carbon for about 15 minutes now and it's still running out black water ? What do I do ?

I've been massaging it to get all the dust out my hands are black
Carbon should not make water more dirty. It should clear it up. Lol. All the carbon I have used came inside the media package thing so I don't have to rinse and all. Does the c3 have to put the carbon in a media tray or in a bag?
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Carbon should not make water more dirty. It should clear it up. Lol. All the carbon I have used came inside the media package thing so I don't have to rinse and all. Does the c3 have to put the carbon in a media tray or in a bag?
It came in a fine mesh bag and I was supposed to rinse it but it just kept spitting out dust
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1801545606.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	177366

I mean come on its just dust what the heck
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

I mean come on its just dust what the heck
Wow. That is some major dust problem then. I think the carbon is leaking some kind of color or something. Dust wouldn't be that black and wouldn't stay black for that long.
The carbon looks like tiny grained ones. That is a lot of carbon too. The amount of carbon in my marineland 150 for 20 gal is only around half a handful. That mesh bag looks stuffed to bursting! Lol
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Wow. That is some major dust problem then. I think the carbon is leaking some kind of color or something. Dust wouldn't be that black and wouldn't stay black for that long.
The carbon looks like tiny grained ones. That is a lot of carbon too. The amount of carbon in my marineland 150 for 20 gal is only around half a handful. That mesh bag looks stuffed to bursting! Lol
Ya it is and the particles are smaller that's the problem. My bio wheel 150 like you said is probability 1/100 of that bag tad overkill


I'm just not using the carbon I put some foam down there instead
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

Ya it is and the particles are smaller that's the problem. My bio wheel 150 like you said is probability 1/100 of that bag tad overkill

I'm just not using the carbon I put some foam down there instead
Yeah. From the pic, that carbon would probably make the water in the tank pitch black over night.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Yeah. From the pic, that carbon would probably make the water in the tank pitch black over night.
I'm just going to but a media bag and carton of carbon and make my own not going to risk it
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

I'm just going to but a media bag and carton of carbon and make my own not going to risk it
Yeah. That should work better. I like diamond head carbon and medium grained ones.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Yeah. That should work better. I like diamond head carbon and medium grained ones.
Ya I'm not about this chalk dust crap ! Haha it's like I got a bag of from
The top of the batch of carbon so its just all dust haha thanks ill grab that kind
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carbon, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.