Fluval C2 vs. AC20 - Which one to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a 10g aquarium and I'm comparing the AC20 and the C2. The C2 seems superior and you get more filtration for only $7 more in price.

Any of you guys know which is better? The tried and true AC20 or the newer C2?

Here's the tank (Marineland Half Moon 10g) it will be going on. Getting rid of the weak Tetra filter that looks hideous sticking in the right side of the tank.

6817701472_2c0fc2b017_b.jpg

i dont know too much about fluval filters, but ac's are really quiet, and an ac 20 would be good for your tank. read some reviews on websites for both, the ac filters are pretty much rated 5 stars on every website.

So since I have an AC 20 that came with my Fluval Edge tank, I was eager to try the newer Fluval C2. It arrived in the mail yesterday. After reading on and watching a few comparison youtube vids, the choice was clear. $7 more bucks for an updated AC basically.

Since both the AC's and C series power filters are made by Hagen, the C2 really resembles the AC20, just refined and updated.

I really like the various chambers and how there's a spout on top that channels water over a screen that disperses and trickles water (like rain) over the C-Nodes (similar to BioMax media) to promote oxygenation and beneficial bacteria growth.

Also there's a pull out basket that suppose to hold the carbon. I'm actually going to seed that chamber with BioMax that has been sitting in my NanoCube's filter compartment for months. Further, I love the telescoping intake tube. Its way better than the AC's in that you have more precise control on the length.

One thing that both the AC's and C Series have in common, from what Ive read, is a noisy rattle sound that comes from the impeller. I went preemptive on this one and I did the "fix" that some have posted to work. Which is lubing the impeller shaft with some vasaline. Easy fix and it seems to work. I just need to do it to my AC20 when I find the time and motivation to do so.. LOL

So far so good. The C2 is very impressive. Pretty quiet too!
Here's some pics!

6974644639_9b1121a727_z.jpg

photostream

6974644837_7fac827e15_z.jpg

6974645337_34b2b02a0f_z.jpg

6974645233_589423541f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom