Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220 View Post
I have to much junk under the tank to keep it there, so I just keep it on the side of my tank. If I didn't have anything under there it would fit, but i guess it'll depend on how tall the cut-out of your cabinet is.
I've only had it on my tank for about a year, and it's still going strong... If you're gonna have your tank heavily stocked, I'd probably get the 2215 or some C3/C4 combo, but the 2213 is working for me. I just clean out the 2213, to replace the filter floss, about every 3-4 weeks; but getting the air our of the eheim can be frustrating, if you have ADD like me... that being said, I'm happy with it.
when you say getting the air out what do you mean? and when this happens how do you get the air out?
sorry im new and have upgraded to juwel 110litre from a 30litre, which had an internal filter. so externals are new to me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginty View Post
when you say getting the air out what do you mean? and when this happens how do you get the air out?
sorry im new and have upgraded to juwel 110litre from a 30litre, which had an internal filter. so externals are new to me.

I only get air in the eheim when I have to open it up. With air in the can you wont really get proper flow, and it'll run noisy. To get it out, you just have to gently shake and tilt it around... it can take several minutes.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P220 View Post
I only get air in the eheim when I have to open it up. With air in the can you wont really get proper flow, and it'll run noisy. To get it out, you just have to gently shake and tilt it around... it can take several minutes.
what are your opinions on getting a 2213 and one of these??

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aq...00-litres.html

do you think that will be good enough?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

or the 2213 and a: http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aq...er-600l-h.html

as a combination?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you're really set on getting the 2213 and a supplementary filter, then that 2012 could work in helping the 2213's mechanical filtration (Which I will agree with that article Sf1 linked, is a weakness... but I do pwc's about every 3 days, cause thats when my water level starts to get below where I want it, so I never really get build up in my tank..., but biologically the 2213 should be sufficient). I wouldn't bother with that HOB, but I just don't like dealing with cartridges. Maybe just get the 2213 first, see how it works for you, then get an additional filter?

However, if I was worried the 2213 wouldn't be enough, then I'd just get the 2215 (or 2217 if you're gonna have goldfish or something with a huge bio-load). Then if need be, drill some or all the holes on the spray bar larger to get the current that works for your fish.
Personally I think the 2213's 'media basket' is a waste of space, and I removed it and put in the lattice screens all the other models have. It increased the cans capacity so you could put more stuff in it, but obviously it's still gonna have about the same flow rate.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just ordered Eheim 2215 for my 29g already with two C3.

I'll fit it with Matrix, Filter Floss and 100g bag of Purigen.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf1 View Post
Everything that they say it's true only a half. And the performance of any filter reduced over the time. My first C3 is slower than my second C3. And when it becomes dirt - than even worse .

So, buy something like 2215, or 2217 even better.
I've noticed that as well. I have 2 c3's on my 38 gallon + 1 aquaclear 50 ...... so I've got plenty of filtration going. Despite delivering crystal clear polished water, I must say those things do get filthy and seem to need almost a complete "teardown" every six to eight months.

The things that surprised me most are:

1) Even with pre-filter, impeller gets clogged with "goo" and motor won't restart if turned off after a few months .... must remove motor and clean with Q-Tip.

2) the bio-screen above the trickle chamber gets completely clogged in a about two months and makes water bypass the trickle chamber. I really had to rub the heck out of them to get all the dirt out and was shocked at how caked they became. I am thinking the water that flows from atop the trickle chamber is unfiltered aquarium water and not water that has passed through the mechanical chamber. Do you agree?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
Sf1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I need to clean impeller every month. If not my filters become very slow...

Bio-screen is the worst part ever, I clean it every second day. Maybe some water bypass the mechanical filtration? But there is no big debris, only the brown algae and tannins.

Two C3 isn't enough for 29g planted and you need to clean it every 2-3 days... So I decided to add a canister.

Eheim the only company that give you GPH rate data for the filter with full of media.

Tags
eheim, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com