Fluval C4?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does the Fluval C4 self prime/restart in case of a power outage?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will (as long as you still have some water in it), but it may take a few seconds to a minute.

it will hold the water for a little while then lose syphon. you have to fill the back again with water

No problem here

I turn my C4 off when I feed my fish every day. It always self primes just fine when I turn it back on .... as much as an hour later. It seems to me this simulates a power outage. Longest power outage we've had here at the house in less than an hour.

I leave my C4 running during water changes. I can take 8 gallons out of a 29 gallon tank (which probably holds 27 gallons considering substrate, etc) and the water flow keeps going just fine doing almost a 30% water change.

I'm just concerned when I'm not home that it will self prime during a power outage . Few months ago some drunk ran into a pole and took out our power for 6 hours. My Aqueon 55 / 75 kicked back on immediately when the electricity wad restored .

It will. They only lose suction when the water level drops down like when you do a water change. You can hear the gurgle and swoosh when they lose their suction in a water change. In a full tank, they will not lose their water and will not need to be re-primed manually in a power failure. Great filters btw, I have 2 on my tank and I LOVE them.

It will. They only lose suction when the water level drops down like when you do a water change. You can hear the gurgle and swoosh when they lose their suction in a water change. In a full tank, they will not lose their water and will not need to be re-primed manually in a power failure. Great filters btw, I have 2 on my tank and I LOVE them.

Dumb question your talking about the C4 right?

I'm just concerned when I'm not home that it will self prime during a power outage . Few months ago some drunk ran into a pole and took out our power for 6 hours. My Aqueon 55 / 75 kicked back on immediately when the electricity wad restored .

When I read that I thought they smacked their head on the pole and took out the power. I now realize they were drunk driving... :facepalm:

It applies to most filters. As long as water level doesn't drop below the intake, it will power back up after a minute or less.

When I read that I thought they smacked their head on the pole and took out the power. I now realize they were drunk driving... :facepalm:

Lol. Imagine the cranium on that dude.

The water in the tank would have to be significantly lower than the level in the HOB

Back
Top Bottom