Fluval C4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started to set up a new aquarium , it is a 29 gallon . I am thinking of using 2 fluval C4 filters and turning them down to slow , question is this over kill ? I know that these are rated for much larger tanks

It will be fine, I had one on a 20 tall.. they're not super high flow anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Always better to over filter.... Kinda want to get an ac 70 for my 20H but that's not what your asking :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Two C'4's are beyond overkill

I just started to set up a new aquarium , it is a 29 gallon . I am thinking of using 2 fluval C4 filters and turning them down to slow , question is this over kill ? I know that these are rated for much larger tanks
I originally had one C3 on my 29 gallon and it kept the water crystal clear and polished on "full speed" but I had to replace my cut to fit 100 micron pads often. I moved the C3 to another tank and installed one C4 and the filter media lasts much longer. I run it at about one third power and it works fine. When I run it at full blast, it's way too much current for my angel fish as well as others in the tank.

Two C4's at minimum speed will still probably create a "rip current" in a 29 gallon tank. The C4 flow rate can be adjusted from 159-264 gph according to the owners manual. So with two, you are going to have 318 gph which is way more than I would think you want or need and even more than the recommended 6-10x gph typically recommended for HOB's in this forum. The C series Fluvals operate as hybrid canisters so you need less flow than most HOB's anyway.

Also, my two C3's on my 38 gallon as well is my C4 on my 29 gallon start making some noise at the very minimum flow speed. They are all essentially silent at higher speeds.

Suggestion: Start out with one C4. You can always add more filtration later.

You might be interested in my post #29 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hob-filters-301925-3.html

I originally had one C3 on my 29 gallon and it kept the water crystal clear and polished on "full speed" but I had to replace my cut to fit 100 micron pads often. I moved the C3 to another tank and installed one C4 and the filter media lasts much longer. I run it at about one third power and it works fine. When I run it at full blast, it's way too much current for my angel fish as well as others in the tank.

Two C4's at minimum speed will still probably create a "rip current" in a 29 gallon tank. The C4 flow rate can be adjusted from 159-264 gph according to the owners manual. So with two, you are going to have 318 gph which is way more than I would think you want or need and even more than the recommended 6-10x gph typically recommended for HOB's in this forum. The C series Fluvals operate as hybrid canisters so you need less flow than most HOB's anyway.

Also, my two C3's on my 38 gallon as well is my C4 on my 29 gallon start making some noise at the very minimum flow speed. They are all essentially silent at higher speeds.

Suggestion: Start out with one C4. You can always add more filtration later.

You might be interested in my post #29 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hob-filters-301925-3.html

thanks for the feedback ,:thanks: but I do have both filters running right now , no fish yet because I am trying to cycle the tank . Anyway flow is good IMO , have real plants already in and the gently sway in the current (y)
but you are correct , if I turn this up full blast way too much lol

love the C4s can custonize my media . I can make my own filter pads out of bulk media , just cut to fit , buy some nylon bags and put in what ever I need , carbon, pete pellets , ect
Love the wet / dry filtration . now if this tank would jut hurry up and cycle !! LOL

No such thing as over filtering

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No such thing as over filtering

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
But there is such a thing as too much "flow"

AquaTechPower Filter 30-60 - Walmart.com

This is what I had a few years ago.

Great on flow.. To the point of throwing fish against the aquarium wall.

As a filter it's a no-go.

Unless you really like to waste your time as I did putting on a home made pre-filter with lots of floss and all kinds of time spent on cut to fit media.

Get a canister or a Fluval C4 or don't complain that your tank won't cycle or that your fish are swimming against a rip current.

But there is such a thing as too much "flow"

AquaTechPower Filter 30-60 - Walmart.com

This is what I had a few years ago.

Great on flow.. To the point of throwing fish against the aquarium wall.

As a filter it's a no-go.

Unless you really like to waste your time as I did putting on a home made pre-filter with lots of floss and all kinds of time spent on cut to fit media.

Get a canister or a Fluval C4 or don't complain that your tank won't cycle or that your fish are swimming against a rip current.

uh , if you will read my 1st post you will see I do have 2 fulval C4s :)

I ran a pair of AC50s on a 20 long on my planted tank (combined 300-400 gph) and it was fine because of a mod I did to the filter output(s). I took a strip of plastic (same thing used as the back strip for hinged glass tops), cut it to the width of the HOB filter outlet, used hot water to soften it and bend a curve in it, and mounted it on the output lip. Depending on the thickness of the lip, you may have to crimp the plastic a bit so it gets a good grip on the filter. You can customize the bend to suit your needs. I did not like the typical 45 degree angle splash most HOB filters produced. I directed the flow along the surface for good surface movement but minimal splash/noise.
I eventually removed one of the AC50s not necessarily because of the flow but because of the surface real estate needed for the plants.
I know ACx filters are not the same as the C series but my point is about doing a mod to customize the flow direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a C4 on my 55g and it's a great filter. It handled the bioload of medium sized cichlids fine for a while.

I love how it completely disassembles. Very convenient for quick cleaning.

Caleb

I have a C4 on my 55g and it's a great filter. It handled the bioload of medium sized cichlids fine for a while.

I love how it completely disassembles. Very convenient for quick cleaning.

Caleb
yep totaly agree (y)
I run the gambit of filters , aqua clear , cansiter filters spent hundreds of experimenting with different filters IMO as far as ease of use , cleaning , flow control , and customizing media , the C4 wins .

Back
Top Bottom