Fluval C4 vs AquaClear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon tank and its filtering fine. I've recently found out about the Fluval C series and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a Fluval C4 in the future.

-Wyatt

I have a AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon tank and its filtering fine. I've recently found out about the Fluval C series and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a Fluval C4 in the future.

-Wyatt

Not worth the hassle, it's not going to give you anything more than the AC-50 is currently doing. I've heard good things about the C4 series ... but not enough to "upgrade"

Not worth the hassle, it's not going to give you anything more than the AC-50 is currently doing. I've heard good things about the C4 series ... but not enough to "upgrade"

Ok, it was just the "5 stage filtration" that caught my eye. Thanks!

I own both AC and Fluval C series of filters.. IMO, I think the Fluval C4 is definitely an improvement in design and innovation.. they're both from Hagen and share the same impeller assembly.. but that's where the similarities end. The Fluval C series is like a canister and HOB hybrid with its modular design and wet dry biological compartment. I highly recommend it.

Edit: but since you already have a working AC 50, I probably wouldn't "upgrade" to a Fluval C. A true upgrade would be to go with a Fluval 06 canister. I have the 306 on my 26g and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I own both AC and Fluval C series of filters.. IMO, I think the Fluval C4 is definitely an improvement in design and innovation.. they're both from Hagen and share the same impeller assembly.. but that's where the similarities end. The Fluval C series is like a canister and HOB hybrid with its modular design and wet dry biological compartment. I highly recommend it.

Edit: but since you already have a working AC 50, I probably wouldn't "upgrade" to a Fluval C. A true upgrade would be to go with a Fluval 06 canister. I have the 306 on my 26g and couldn't be happier.

Thanks! And I think a canister filter would be unesescary for a 20 gallon

Not necessarily... that's a matter of perspective. I have the Fluval 106 on my 6g rimless tank in my office next to my desk. Not only is it super efficient but it's super quiet too... unlike any HOB filter I've used. It's not that foreign of an idea to use canister filters on smaller tanks... Take BillBug68's 12 gallon long TOTM... It also uses a Fluval 106. A ton of nano builds use Eheim classic canister as well. Just depends on your needs and budget.

Not necessarily... that's a matter of perspective. I have the Fluval 106 on my 6g rimless tank in my office next to my desk. Not only is it super efficient but it's super quiet too... unlike any HOB filter I've used. It's not that foreign of an idea to use canister filters on smaller tanks... Take BillBug68's 12 gallon long TOTM... It also uses a Fluval 106. A ton of nano builds use Eheim classic canister as well. Just depends on your needs and budget.

Hmm....

I had a 304 on a 5 gallon, talk about clean

LOL. I had a AC 30 and a Fluval 406 on a 20 gallon tall running for almost 6 months. But the canister was added to seed the media for the 55 gallon tank that I was prepping for setup.

Anyway, that 20 was ultra clear.

I'll second the 'quiet' factor value. We have a Fluval 404 on a 29 (overkill, I know) and it's silent as a morgue.

I got the 404 off eBay for $40. Had to buy an o-ring for it and fabricate most of the plumbing - but I spent probably $20 - $30 to make it work: still a bargain.

I got the 404 off eBay for $40. Had to buy an o-ring for it and fabricate most of the plumbing - but I spent probably $20 - $30 to make it work: still a bargain.

Well, I'm fine with my AC 50 for now. But thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom