Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibis View Post
Since I got back into the hobby a few weeks ago I've tried Whisper, Cascade, Aqueon, and now the C3. All were loud out of the box except the Aqueon. The Whisper was defective (motor quit running several times), so I'm not sure how much it would've quieted down. The Cascade took about a week to settle in and is now dead silent. The Aqueon was silent for a couple weeks, but then started making a deep hum. I replaced the Aqueon with a C3 today, and it's making a racket! The loudest out of the box out of the 4 brands I've tried. I expected this after reading reviews/researching, and I'm sure it'll quiet down. If not I'll break out the Vaseline.

I think the inconsistent reviews are more due to people writing them shortly after getting the filter. I'm not sure why HOB's are taking awhile to quiet down these days, I don't recall ever having this problem in the 90s. Maybe they just aren't made as precise as they once were. Precision = higher manufacturing cost.

I haven't run the C3 for long, so I don't have much to say about it other than loving the design. It got excellent reviews, and I'm sure they will hold true in the end.
Yep .... but just hang in there. My first C3 was horrible out of the box to the point I was going to get rid of it:

Two days of FluvalC3 are enough .. Best quiet filter?

But it's dead silent now. The C3 I got earlier this month came out of the box quiet and within a week was totally silent. About the same with my C4.

Also .... the inconsistency is absurd with the lids as well whcih is documented on numerous youtube videos. My first C3 makes noise with the lid on (and putting pressure on it does no good so the tape solution does not work) so I run it with the lid off. The second C3 and the C4 on my 29 gallon and the AquaClear 50 have no problem with the lids.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Got another question: I know nothing about canister setups except what I've read here about Eheims and Fluvals. I just found a nearby CL listing where someone has a couple of NIB API Rena XP4's for 50 each. Would the Rena be a better choice for the 55? Or should I stick with the HOBs since I have at least a little experience with them? Sorry to be such a pain, I'm just stpping up my game from the 29 and want to get it right =) Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincainn View Post
Got another question: I know nothing about canister setups except what I've read here about Eheims and Fluvals. I just found a nearby CL listing where someone has a couple of NIB API Rena XP4's for 50 each. Would the Rena be a better choice for the 55? Or should I stick with the HOBs since I have at least a little experience with them? Sorry to be such a pain, I'm just stpping up my game from the 29 and want to get it right =) Thanks again for all the help and advice!
An XP4 is better than any HOB out there. You should definitely pick one up and run it with your HOB that you already have.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What size fluval would I need for my 55g?

Tags
bio, eel, fluval, hob, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com